Beulah Rods??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Beulah Rods???

Paxton
03-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Had a day off today and used it wisely...went to a couple of flyshops to buy more stuff that I don't need.
At one of the shops I came across a rod and manufacturer that I had never heard of ....Beulah Fly Rods. I only write because I picked up their "Blue Water Series" 9 ft, 10/11 wt rod..........relatively light (7 oz) given the thick, almost unbendable butt section, reportedly a very fast action/quick recovery rod, made for manhandling large and or deep water fish/quick presentations......thinking that this would make a great boat or tarpon rod or even for surf.....nicely designed cork section which would allow for a 2 handed hold....price was under 400. Interesting rod....made in Oregon, lifetime guarantee.....anyone ever try this baby out?
Ron

PopnesetBay
03-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I have not seen that rod that you speak about but do have a 10wt one hander that is lightening fast. Not being an accomplished caster it took some time to figure out how I could get it to work for me and when everything is "right" it is a cannon. Expect it to be my go to this year. Will have it at the Spring Clave if anyone wants to play with it while I try to play with my CND Beach rod.

Pete

juro
03-30-2007, 09:19 PM
These rods have been making quite a splash on the tackle scene over the past year or two, more so out on the west coast.

Their approach to rod design is completely from the angler's perspective and they are very willing to innovate.

Expect to see much more of them in the days to come.

Paxton
03-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Juro....they seemed to be very well constructed and designed..guides large, finish great......the first 2 ft of the butt section was the stiffest I've seen, then it tapers very quickly.....I could see it being a real "slingshot" of a rod. It looked like one could make a quick 50/60 ft cast with one backcast and far more by fully loading the rod. If you want to see one in person, they were at Concord Outfitters...IM8 graphite...3 pieces...$378