I paid my dues on Saturday for a nice day on Sunday [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: I paid my dues on Saturday for a nice day on Sunday

Colorado Cajun
03-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I went out on Saturday to fish the Arkansas River. The temp was in the upper 30's. It rained, it snowed the biggest flakes I've ever seen, and then it rained again. I had on a gore tex jacket and I still got wet. The water seeped through the jacket where my soaked chest pack was.

The fish I caught were hanging out in slack water where there was a fast current seam close by. The fly of the day was a chartruse caddis larve which represents the free swiming caddis on the river. I had the privilage of hooking onto 6 fish on Saturday, and landing 3 of them.

Sunday, what a difference 24 hours and some nice weather can make. I went back to my favorite area where I had fished the day before. It was a whole different game. It was in the 50's and the fish were feeding in the riffles. I used the same caddis larve fly but instead of peacock ice dub, I had used black peacock ice dub for the thorax. I caught about 12 fish and missed just as many. It was an awesome day to be out.

Rippin_Lips
03-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Sounds like a good day on the Ark!

sforkute
04-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Fished the Arkansas a few years back on our road trip through CO, honestly one of my favorite rivers in CO...and that is saying a lot.

Colorado Cajun
04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Saturday on the Ark was AWESOME!, Counting long distance releases, I hooked onto over 30 fish. If was freezing and wet all day but well worth it. There was a really nice BWO hatch at about 4:00PM that lasted till 5. One of my best days yet on the Ark.:smile: