Looking for help with regard to a "Dusty Miller" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Looking for help with regard to a "Dusty Miller"

03-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Hello all -

I am new to this forum and also new to the art of fly tying. My request is this: does anyone out there have a recipe for a fly called the "Dusty Miller"?

This is a fly that my father fished with a fair amount when he was younger and I told him that I'd learn to tie it so that he and I could use them this coming season. He used it mostly for trout so this question might not suit the theme of the 'Classic Atlantic Salmon' but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Many thanks.

03-27-2007, 12:12 AM
It sounds like you are looking for a trout fly your father knows by the name of Dusty Miller. I'm not familiar with a trout fly of the name. However, there is a classic married wing Atlantic Salmon fly I'm familiar with. It is a quite involved pattern and would not be suitable to tying on trout sized hooks. Also, it is not a fly for someone new to tying since it takes a lot of tying skill and knowledge of various techniques such as marrying different colored feather fibers to produce a wing.

If you would like to have the classic salmon Dusty Miller dressing, I will post it if you wish to see it.

Perhaps someone else knows of a trout fly of the same name and they will post it. The fly you are looking for might very well be a regional or stream specific one that is not very well known. Maybe someone from the area you live in (or your dad fished it in) can help.

03-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Well this got me to thinking as i knew i had seen a version in low-water form that could be called a trout fly. I found it on a color plate in the Bates book Atlantic Salmon Flies and Fishing and it was tied by Harry Darbee. While not an expert or historian, i have a decent knowledge of patterns and i like flytyer have never heard of a trout pattern by the name of Dusty Miller. It may be out there but i have yet to come across it. I don't think Darbees version looks at all like a Dusty Miller save for the body but it would serve the purpose and does look quite "trouty". Also plenty of hairwing "reduced versions when i got to looking in other reference books. Hairwing alternatives are relatively easy to do and the need for exact detail is not critical, rather it should just "look" like the fly you are trying to reduce.
Salmon Chaser

03-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Hello Again,

Any information or images that you might be able to offer would certainly be greatly appreciated. The wonderful thing about the web is that I can forward images to my father and ask him if what has been posted is anything similar to what he once used.

My father used it for 'trouting' in Newfoundland and when I do a simple 'Google' search I come across several references for this fly. One outfitting company from Nfld. lists it as a wet fly to be used while fishing the Serpentine River.

Anyhow - I do appreciate all your help and look forward to seeing a few images perhaps.


On another note - it is a big day here in NB tomorrow as the draw results for crown reserve salmon water will be posted. I am hoping to get back up on the NW Miramichi again this season. :)

03-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Will you be in Dieppe this weekend? I'll be one of the dozen tyers. Stop by.
Dwayne Miller
aka Salmon Chaser

03-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi Shepody,

Here is a link to the Dusty Miller Trout Fly.

Alan (salmonguy)