Rippin_Lips
03-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Midges are going....
Bring a few BWO's.....
Streamer bite was ON!

That is all.

tetonshaggy
04-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Fishing on the South Fork of the Snake is red hot right now. Fish are active and everywhere.

We fished on the lower south fork. The morning was slow, however by the end of the day we had landed 108 trout on streamers.

GIve us a call for the fly fishing trip of your life.

Matt Berry
(non-sponsor information / link removed)

sforkute
04-06-2007, 12:26 PM
So, is this just an overt (not very good one) way to drum up business or is it just time to thump your chest? I know angling means many different things to many different people but attempting to impress others with fish count on a public fly fishing forum is sophmorish at best. Good luck out there and don't catch them all, oh wait...it looks like you did.

Rippin_Lips
04-06-2007, 01:05 PM
^^^^^ This outta be good! ^^^^^^ :hihi:

In other news......the Snake around JH is fishing really well also!

sforkute
04-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Lips...yes we will see, that type of ballyhoo just gets to me, believe me you haven't heard the last of it. Good to hear that that snake up JH way is fishing well. We were on the SF last week and had a great time, sorry I can't give you an actual fish count but that really isn't what it is all about. How is the snow pack up in JH looking?

Rippin_Lips
04-06-2007, 01:22 PM
We are hurtin'!!! Last week helped out a bit. I haven't checked the Snotel site in a while...I'm afraid to! As you know, our resevoirs are looking good, so that should help out the cause a little. April and May in JH are usually the deciding months on the issue though...unless we have a REALLY big winter.
Hoping for a wet spring!!!!

sforkute
04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
We all are hoping for that! Last time I checked it looked like Jackson and Palisade's had some good water in them...we need some water this spring though.

sforkute
04-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Lips, how is the Salt looking right now?

Geordie Shanks
04-06-2007, 02:24 PM
As unsettling as the number counting/chest thumping is, what is more troublesome is the blatant use of this site to drum up business. I have spent (wasted) a hell of a lot of time of fly fishing sites over the years, and this one, more than others, seems to have a pile of dudes that know their ****-moreso than other sites.

I realize that there a lot of guides and lodge people on the site that are generally pretty cool and understand this is a "grassroots" and informal site meant to share information, not to scare up sports. We have some major/topshelf steelhead anglers/guides on here who's wisdom is invaluable. But not once have I read about "call me - fish in the river" or "hooked 28, 20 pound steelhead yesterday" and really don't expect to.

Matt, for what its worth, much like the guy skiing in Levi's or the BYU fan at a Utah game, you do not want to be the "30 inch, 100 fish a day" guy. Trust me. The time will come in your career when that will not be appealing to you. Not trying to scare you off or bust you up, but I would like to encourage you to tone it down and maybe look at other avenues for sports.

SFUte, what part of Idaho do you live in? I have a drift boat and am on the South Fork of the Snake about 15-20 days a year. Want to get together for a float, 28 beers and 200+ fish a day sometime?

Rippin_Lips
04-06-2007, 02:54 PM
As unsettling as the number counting/chest thumping is, what is more troublesome is the blatant use of this site to drum up business. I have spent (wasted) a hell of a lot of time of fly fishing sites over the years, and this one, more than others, seems to have a pile of dudes that know their ****-moreso than other sites.

I realize that there a lot of guides and lodge people on the site that are generally pretty cool and understand this is a "grassroots" and informal site meant to share information, not to scare up sports. We have some major/topshelf steelhead anglers/guides on here who's wisdom is invaluable. But not once have I read about "call me - fish in the river" or "hooked 28, 20 pound steelhead yesterday" and really don't expect to.

Matt, for what its worth, much like the guy skiing in Levi's or the BYU fan at a Utah game, you do not want to be the "30 inch, 100 fish a day" guy. Trust me. The time will come in your career when that will not be appealing to you. Not trying to scare you off or bust you up, but I would like to encourage you to tone it down and maybe look at other avenues for sports.

SFUte, what part of Idaho do you live in? I have a drift boat and am on the South Fork of the Snake about 15-20 days a year. Want to get together for a float, 28 beers and 200+ fish a day sometime?

I haven't been around here all that long but you seem to have nailed it as far as this forum goes.

I have never met Matt but have spent a significant amount of time on the Lodge property over the years being that a buddy lives next door. They run a respectable operation!!! He may have crossed the line here....hopefully he won't tag his business again. The staff at his property would add a lot of knowledge to the trout forum here! ---Just leave the biz tag out Matt--

BTW Geordie: Anytime you want to have a 28 beer day on the South Fork..........I'm in! :D I don't care how many fish come to hand!

Geordie Shanks
04-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Well said. I honestly am not trying to embarass or ridicule Matt, I know how it can be trying to get some work lined up and wish him the best. This is just not the place for it.

It is on for the SF this year!! You bring the 28 beers (42 if SFute comes) and we will go tear it up. Or ground out on a bar and/or tip the boat and drown. One of the two. Either way, it's on!!

Rippin_Lips
04-06-2007, 04:15 PM
It is on for the SF this year!! You bring the 28 beers (42 if SFute comes) and we will go tear it up. Or ground out on a bar and/or tip the boat and drown. One of the two. Either way, it's on!!

Maybe we outta get a jet boat in the mix?? :hihi:

Seriously, I am always into avoiding responsibility...PM me if anyone wants to get on the water.

Rippin_Lips
04-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Lips, how is the Salt looking right now?

Running at 811cfs today. A little high! I haven't been down there to see it for 2 weeks....but 2 weeks ago it was a mess.

The good thing about the Salt is that it usually clears before other rivers around here do.

sforkute
04-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Excessive amounts of alcohol, bs'ing around the campfire is great by me...but as soon as someone brings up "jet boat" on the SF I am out of the mix.:)

sforkute
04-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Great stretch of water, I wish there was a little more regulation on the flows....if there was it would be even "that" much better.

Rippin_Lips
04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Excessive amounts of alcohol, bs'ing around the campfire is great by me...but as soon as someone brings up "jet boat" on the SF I am out of the mix.:)
I was kidding about the jet-boat!

The irrigation draws on the Salt SUCK! People take way more H2o out of that river than they need.....seems to be the ID/WY way!

sforkute
04-07-2007, 10:54 AM
:mad: I know man, those things drive me nuts!

jsteelhead
04-10-2007, 09:49 PM
I know it is probably a bit redundant at this point to comment on Matt's posting.... but I simply can't help myself.

Geordie pointed out that it is unsettling to see someone counting/chest thumping by posting numbers. Geordie, I hear you loud and clear, however, I would like to say that it is more than this. Not only is fish counting unsettling, it is taking this beautiful sport and turning it into nothing more than a pissing contest. The main problem with our sport in my opinion is that new flyfishers generally care about one thing and that is numbers, numbers, numbers. Many new flyfishers will do anything necessary in order to catch as many fish as possible, no matter how ugly or unsporting it might be. The whole reason you see guys nymphing over reds, people abusing spawned out steelhead that haven't eaten for 9 months, or guys hucking so much lead they look more like bait chuckers than flyfisherman, is because they have learned that numbers are how you distinguish yourself as a great flyfisherman.

Matt, as a guide you are a teacher/mentor to flyfishers entering the sport. By talking about 108 fish days you are teaching people that numbers of fish caught is what this sport is all about, and doing a major injustice to our sport in the process. It does nothing more than continue to add to the already growing problem and to do this to drum up business is even worse. Take the higher road Matt, people will respect you for it.

Brad
04-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Do you guys have a updated report for us? I'm headed to the SF around Swan Valley for a few days. Looks like it could be epic beatis weather.

Thanks in advance

Geordie Shanks
04-18-2007, 02:48 PM
The weather does look positively perfect for beatis right now, except it is just a touch too cold. The SF just opened up year round a few years ago, and the guys at SF outfitters tell stories about "carpet" baetis hatches with fish everywhere and no one fishing to them before the year round opening. Me and a couple of buddies have tried to hit the beatis for the last three years, and have generaly missed it. However, we have had a killer time with streamers on a couple of those days. No 108 or even 70 fish days, but damn good streamer days nonetheless. I haven't been up recently, and the flows have been pretty low. Go with plenty of beatis patterns, but be prepared for streamer fishing. The South Fork really is one of the better streamer rivers I've fished.

Not to keep hammering on that horse corpse, but Jsteelhead nailed it nicely as far as why the number counting is a major, major problem and why its so galling. And I also think that he is correct - numbers is how the beginning (and to a certain degree, the more insecure) angler sets (or tries to set - fibs have been known to occur) himself apart from the crowd and is probably the main reason we see people abusing spawning fish and starving Steelhead. Much like how dudes chest thumping gets to SFute, that one is really my hot button. To see some whanker chucking egg patterns at a skinny fish that has been in the river for 9 months and is trying to spawn is just assinine. A steelhead is truly a spectacular and regal fish that deserves more respect than that.

I worked in a fly shop for about five years, and I heard plenty of "fish" stories and 100 fish a day stories and even a few 30 inch fish stories. You learn very quickly what is true and what isn't. The simple fact is, this isn't the NBA and there is no such thing as a "fly fishing prodigy". This really is a simple sport when you get down to it. Of the so called 10% of anglers that catch 90% of the fish, that 10% are generally pretty equal and know what is physically and realistically possible on a given river at a given time. Too many people fish for the wrong reasons, and it pisses me off when it manifests itself into a chest thumping, numbers counting pissing contest. Enough said.

Check out South Fork Outfitters website or give Todd at the shop a call. He'll give you the poop, but go up and have a great time. I see no way that it can suck - it never has. Be there in a few more weeks. Good luck.

Brad
04-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info Geordie, I'll bring my streamer box and hope for the best who knows. I'm just excited to go to new water. I talked to SF outfitters yesterday and we'll stop in Friday for the shuttle. They said a storm was coming in, it will be blowing through WY.

A guy on the green once who told me to put a pebble in your pocket every time you catch a fish and to count the pebbles at the end of the day. Few people ever have 40 rocks in their pockets let alone 108.

Geordie Shanks
04-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Pebble in the pocket - I like it! I can think of more than a couple of anglers that should put a pebble in thier mouths when they catch a fish. Actually, no - these specific "anglers" I'm thinking about would still be able to talk well enough to tell me about thier "epic 50 fish day".

Actually, the Green is definitely one place that a 40 or 50 pebble pocket day could happen on occasion. Have fun on the SF and bundle up.

By the way, I love the shop and guys at SF outfitters, but the shuttles will be a touch cheaper at the Sinclair gas station in Heise, just west of the shop. They have a big board right at the counter with the shuttle fees and the shuttle dude is dependable. I have spent a ton of time on the SF and if you need a little input as far as good floats and/or prime spots to camp, send me a PM. I'll be happy to help you out if you need - we are all in this together right? Let us know what kind of bugs you saw and the exact number of fish hooked/landed and an appropriate landed vs. hooked ratio, as well as the average size (rounded to the nearest 1/4 inch) and water temperature in Centigrade and have fun.

Sorry, couldn't resist that last bit.

edsly42
04-19-2007, 03:18 PM
go to south fork outfitters for flies but call julie for the shuttle. 208-483-2903. great folks and theyll get ur rig where it needs to get. good luck, i may be over there this wkend too. should be a good one for baetis

Brad
04-23-2007, 12:50 PM
We had a great time time on the river although the weather was a bit sketchy at times. Floated the upper section Friday, the water is still quite cold. Saw tons of white fish and a few trout. Floated the lower on Saturday and found it to be full of some sort of stringy weed. We got really long drifts but our flies were fouled with weed within seconds. Saw some beatis but did not get fish on them, caught fish on skawala nymphs and midges, nothing on streamers probably due to the weed. Very beautiful spot, bald eagles all over the place. That river must rip during runoff, that would be something to see.

edsly42
04-24-2007, 02:39 PM
tough timing, looks like they kicked flows up friday and are still jackin em up some each day.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=13032500&agency_cd=USGS
thatll throw the fish off for a few days. if you can, give it a shot in June or the fall after some steady flows. it can be amazing.

Rippin_Lips
04-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Yup. Looks like the flushing has started on the south fork.

The fishing on the Snake over here as well as the tribs has slowed a bit on the sunny days.....remains damn good when the clouds roll in though.

Had a great afternoon on the Gros Ventre today. It was strictly a nymphing thing and only saw a few fish but a gorgeous day to be on the water!

Anyone been out on the Henry's Fork?

sforkute
05-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Lips, you guys get anymore water from the sky lately?

Rippin_Lips
05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Lips, you guys get anymore water from the sky lately?

Yeah, we've had some moisture for the last 3 nights. Short storms but man, did they give us a pounding. Not enough though! Runoff is here...freestone fishing should be a done deal till July or so!

I heard a few guys have had some success on the Henry's fork, (Warm - Ashton), dredging rubber legs. High and off colr water but not totally blown over there....BUT I heard that report mid week...

Spring cleaning, Lake fishing and maybe a few more turns up in the tetons for the next month or so for me.