Newbie needs info on Hardy reels [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Newbie needs info on Hardy reels

Evans
03-22-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm trying to find out the difference between these Hardy reels: the Marquis Disc 5 and the Hardy LRH. Also would like to know the weights of these two reels. And if there's a Hardy website with info on all past/present Hardy reels, that would be a big help, too. Thank you, Evans...

shotgunner
03-23-2007, 06:34 PM
My old catalogs show the Marquis disc #5 @ 4.8 oz. The UL disc #5 @ 3 13/16 oz.

Listing for the latest LRH is 3.63 oz. This reels been around a lot of years, probably some variations.

The obvious diffs are the caged spool of the LRH with click pawl drag vs. the exposed rim - disc drag found on the others.

Good luck...... SG

Evans
03-23-2007, 07:38 PM
SG--Many thanks. Now, can you tell me what the LRH stands for (left/right hand?). Evans...

pescaphile
03-24-2007, 02:50 AM
LRH are the intials of a reelmaker/designer of the Hardy family, but don't ask me just who it was. We sometimes hear of the Hardy brothers, perhaps LR was one of them? Or perhaps a cousin? I dunno.

I do know though that Hardy reels are fine pieces and that they are best exemplified by reels having a drag of the gear-and-pawl design like the LRH. A disc drag reel, even if it is one made by the subject maker, just doesn't fit the Hardy mold.

Evans
03-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the response. I bought a used Hardy Featherweight with a spare reel and I'm using it on a 4wt and a 5wt rod. Very nice reel with a great look and sound. Evans...