fly tying [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: fly tying

claxton0985
03-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I was just wondering if there was a tool or some kind of scissors that would assist in tying deer hair poppers or leftys hoppers i have no problem tying them i just can't seem to get them shaped right

FrenchCreek
03-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Most scissors that have a slightly serrated edge will do as will razor blades. Best advice I can give you is to practice a lot in shaping the fly. Tie several bodies on larger size hooks (1/0 or so) and then practice shaping the body or head etc. You can then shave the whole thing off and re do it, save the hook.
Any amount of deer shaping will quickly dull scissors and razor blades! I use Schick Injector blades mostly but one blade usually does 3 bass bugs and then I change blades. Hope this helps.

claxton0985
03-22-2007, 12:10 PM
thank you so much i will continue to practice

Sean Juan
03-27-2007, 02:13 PM
One tip I've learned is to use the backside of curved serrated scissors for the most control. That way you aren't using the points and can control exactly how much you are taking off.

Once you get the feel for the shape you need, you can use a razor to do the first few macro cuts and then these scissors for the finished work.

juro
03-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Hard to beat the old thin razor blades because they can be bent to shave the hair down to shape

I also use the Fiskars microtips. In fact I do not use the finger-hole scissors at all anymore. These are durable, can be sharpened, and create no hand fatigue. Also pick them up and squeeze - no getting the fingers and thumb into holes.

You can cut a single fiber with these microtips, and they last for years.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00007M9MM.01-A1XPASL0YMAR67._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg