Sea-Run Brown Trout advice [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sea-Run Brown Trout advice

03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
So I may go out this weekend (or next depending on the weather) to aim for some SRBT. I figure I'll tie up some small clousers for the job, but not really sure of the correct size hook. any ideas? any other flies I should try at this time of year?

03-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Not sure about Sea Trout in the USA in Europe we use pretty small flies size 8 trout hooks dressed slim and flashy.Much smaller than those used for Bass etc.
Heres a very interesting article from Orkney Scotland hope its OK to post no ads.

Also google "Danish sea trout flies" for flies and tactics the SRBT fishery in the Baltic is years in front .

Good luck Colin

03-15-2007, 06:35 PM
I've caught my share of sea runs over the years mostly as a bycatch when flyfishing for stripers in early spring,I've caught them using 1/0 sandeel flies and shrimp patterns,down to long shank 6's and 4's.I took a nice 4lb plus out of the canal last fall on a spey rod.I'm not much on clousers,I'd rather use split shot on my leader or a short section of t-14 or lead core.Sea run browns are 99.9% hatchery trout,fish for them like fresh water brown trout,they like a hardy meal.:hihi:

03-23-2007, 07:24 AM
Try a small tan or green shrimp and you might get lucky. FishHawk