Jumping into the fray [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Jumping into the fray

Striper
03-11-2007, 10:45 PM
http://www.creativejewelrydesigns.biz/image/RodWrapper.jpg

http://www.creativejewelrydesigns.biz/image/ThreadCarriage.jpg

Picked up a manual rod wrapper on Saturday it arrived in the mail. Got it on EBay and it seems alright. The thread carriage is poor but with a little modification it should suffice. I didn't want to plunk down a huge amount of dough before i got into this seriously so I opted to go with something a bit cheaper than the power wrappers. I can't wait to start wrapping some rods up, I have wanted to do this for a long time and finally decided to pull the trigger. I have a bunch of rods that need work so I am going to start on those before I tackle a new rod from scratch.

Adrian
03-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Mike

Good for you :smokin:

This has been on my "must get around to it this year" list for the past five years or so:roll:

Congratulations on pulling the trigger. I'll bet once you get going you'll be upgrading in no time!

FishHawk
03-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Mike I build my own rods and have a cheap Cabala's rod wrapper works great. Building my own rods helps me save money and modifiy my rods with quality components.
A good web site is rodbuilding.org. Lots of friendly rod builders who a glad to help with any problem that might come up. FishHawk

Jim Miller
03-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Hey Mike
I built my own jig to wrap rods a few years back. It looks like you can easily modify yours to spin the rod while drying the epoxy. I rigged a small motor with a rubber band pully to the rod blank. Once I got the gear ratio to spin the desired RPM .... it has worked great. Haven't built a rod in a few years ..... might have to start again!
Thanks for the post! :D

Striper
03-18-2007, 02:05 AM
Bill,
I am familiar with Rodbuilding.org and go there quite often. I saw some of your posts and was wondering if it was you or not. I started doing some wrapping today and this is going to be really bad I can see much money going down the drain to another addiction...:Eyecrazy: My initial efforts have proven to be quite pleasing and i can't wait to get the rest of my stuff on Monday so i can really get to wrapping. Building from scratch will be a bit more involved but I don't see too much to slow me down. The handles will be the biggest hurdle. I did order a Doc Ski DVD that was highly recommended so i can't wait to get that and watch the master spin some rods up. With that DVD I will be wrapping like a pro in no time. the really impressive thing is the thread art some of these guy's do I hope to at some point take a stab at doing some decorative wrapping but for now I am happy to just do some useful wrapping for rods that will get alot of use. Jim it is time you started wrapping again especially seing as how you put all the time and effort into making your own power wrapper. I having been drooling over the Renzetti power wrapper, I see one in my future. I just love quality machining it is sexy as hell not to mention highly useful and productive. I will hone my skills on the cheap manual wrapper then graduate to the big boy wrapper. I love making stuff and i can see myself really getting psycho with this.:whoa: