South Monomoy [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: South Monomoy

Stevo
03-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Guys

Will there be any organised trips to South Monomoy this year or are things a little 'up-in-the-air' with the present state of it being joined to SB?

juro
03-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't think anything is cast in concrete yet but I can't imagine they'd stop the rip trips to South Monomoy Pt. being miles from any changes of note. Fingers crossed.

Penguin
03-11-2007, 09:40 PM
The land bridge is firmly in place...
There is NO South Monomoy any more...
Perhaps it's now the South Beach Extention?!
That means there is NO North Monomoy...
Just plain old Monomoy!
and as the ameoba spreads, it too could be "consolidated"!
and in a few thousand years maybe Nantucket will just be an over sand drive from Chatham Light...
But I digress...
Where did I put my "medications"?!
I really liked the way it was 2 years ago and now I'm confused and annoyed.
Mother Nature has played a giant mind game and I'm mad as h*ll and I'm not going to take it any more!...
I'm starting a petition to return things to the way they were in 2002...

In the meantime...
All bets are off...
There will be lots of confusion before and after the shifting sand settles...
We can all blaim Capt Keith and Admiral Ed...just KIDDING!
ONLY our striped friends will know what's going on and they are NOT talking just yet...
The Spring Clave will be ALOT of fun as we discover the new landscape!
Let the show begin...Spring in a week!
I'm stickin' to Juro like cat hair on fleece!
If anyone can figure it out, HE can!

striblue
03-12-2007, 12:49 AM
I suspect that we will be doing "something".... The south rip seems to stay where it is, give or take , for the many years and despite the changes...the South point is the south point so I am hopeful that we plan several trips.

jimS
03-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Stevo, I presume you will be coming over in June? By then, we should have a game plan, not necessarily our "A Plan." We will all be novices this year, but there is a cadre of passionate and experienced anglers on this forum that will figure it out. I for one am excited about the new venue!

Stevo
03-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Stevo, I presume you will be coming over in June?

Jim

You bet. This year, our group of four will be over on the 13th June for 10 days although Jamie will be over for the spring clave as well.

If the land bridge is still in situ (and I suspect it will be) come June, will anglers be allowed to cross over onto what was South Monomoy and fish the Northern end of it?

jimS
03-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Stevo, good question. It will depend on where the piping plovers are nesting, I assume. By the time you arrive, we'll know where and where we can't go. Who's coming with you, besides Jamie?

jamie
03-15-2007, 04:28 AM
Jim, we're bringing Malcolm aka Goose, who has been over before and Rupe who is a virgin, ripe for a deflowering.

There are a couple of others we are meeting there also. Colin and Austen have a bunch of innocents in tow and will be about. A good Saffa mate of ours who moved to BC last year is going to be there and a few other 'sleepers' are going to make a show.

Proper invasion this time.

Goose-uk
03-20-2007, 06:29 AM
There should be a good number of Union Jack flags flying around Chatham this June:chuckle:

jamie
03-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Great avatar Malc.

I seem to remember that the May-ah took that, on his way to an official engagement.

petevicar
03-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I am also working on going over there but probably at the beginning of June.

Pete

jamie
03-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Be good to catch up with you again Pete, but I am not over till the 13th. I think we will miss one another.

petevicar
03-20-2007, 10:37 AM
I've got to be back by 14th. It's my daughters's birthday. Otherwise I would have been there.:(

Pete

jimS
03-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Good tides the beginning of June. Even better, mid-month. But, June can and should be epic on the flats with the arrival of our black-backed striped friends. Later in the month, they take on the color of their surroundings and blend quite well, similar to bonefish.

Jamie will have an opportunity to ferret out some good locations in May at the Spring Clave. Incidentally, during that time we have a great spring tide.

Just six weeks before the little guys showup on the southside.

Stevo
03-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Just six weeks before the little guys showup on the southside.

Yeeeeeeehaaaaargh!

Oops, sorry about that - don't know what came over me. :whoa: :chuckle:

PEC54
03-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Jim in 6 weeks I plan on spey casting or throwing plugs to big girls in the canal,first week of may had them last year.

PEC54
03-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Jim in 6 weeks I plan on spey casting or throwing plugs to big girls in the canal,first week of may had them last year.

PEC54
03-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I said it twice.:hihi: :Eyecrazy: :chuckle:

Stevo
03-22-2007, 07:50 AM
I said it twice.:hihi: :Eyecrazy: :chuckle:

:D Striper fever!

Mike Oliver
03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah Stevo,

We all got it big time. As you know I just started fly tying . I know a bit late in life at 55 but boy am I making up for it right now. I reckon I have more deep eels tied than I have enough time left on this earth to fish em. In just two short months I have to find more funds and gear for our trip. Need to brush up on the casting to. I am suffering from Web site fatigue I have spent so much time reserching Cape Cod. Had so many invites darned if I can remember who they all are now. When you get to your 50's Stevo you will understand.
Some good news is the dollar pound exchange rate. I can get $2.0 to 1.0. Bit of street dealing. Never got better than $1.86 before. This gives me the ideal excuse to stock up on cheap American tackle. Even Sage gets affordable at $2.0 to the 1. The USA tackle shops can expect an onslought by this hord of Pomms decending on Monomoy in June. There must be over 15 of us throughout the June period that I know of. Might be best to keep our heads down.
See you on the Rip Rider ferry Steve.

Mikey.o.

PopnesetBay
03-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Mike O

Please check your PM's

Thanks,
Pete Readel
(PopnesetBay)

FishHawk
03-23-2007, 06:23 AM
The Redcoats are coming!!!:D Looking forward to meeting with the crew.
FishHawk

rooster
03-23-2007, 03:34 PM
To all my limey buddies,
Come early, stay late and bring more beer!!!
See you chaps soon.
Dennis
:Eyecrazy:

Stevo
03-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Hmmmm, beer!

After fishing, I will mainly be... at the bar, in the Squire. :tongue:

petevicar
03-26-2007, 09:37 AM
I have now booked my flights.
I will be arriving on May 29 and leaving on June 4.
I trust that there will be someone around to share the odd drop of refreshment with.

Pete

Changed the mistake thanks Steve

Slinger
03-26-2007, 09:57 AM
So your staying for 49 weeks?
Slinger

jamie
03-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Three weeks off, I ask you; he's not showing much commitment is he Steve.

Looks like I'll miss you Pete, but some of the other boys should be about.

flydoc
03-26-2007, 07:34 PM
The Redcoats are coming!!!:D Looking forward to meeting with the crew.
FishHawk
Guess I'd better get all my Monty Python DVD's together....and for the more adventurous among the crowd, I've also got BORAT:chuckle:
As for beer, maybe a side trip to the Sam Adams brewery near Boston? Or would that take too much time away from fishing?....yes, I know....stupid question:tsk_tsk:

juro
03-26-2007, 08:16 PM
I guess you didn't know about the pipeline we had coming from vat#99 to the refuge hq spigot. That's why the admiral always hides the handle at night! :hihi:

Stevo
03-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I still haven't worn that Fez! Maybe this year?

Adrian
03-27-2007, 09:01 PM
I still haven't worn that Fez! Maybe this year?

Steve

No worries, there is sure be some serious 'Fezzing' going on this year:lildevl:

Pete, I hope to be in Chatham that week-end.

petevicar
03-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Hi Adrian
I am planning to hire a guide(s) for at least some of the time I am there.
Should I leave the weekend free for "death marches"?

Pete

Adrian
03-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Pete

Absolutely.

Get working on those 'slabs of meet'.

Plus, I recommend seventy-five push-ups, one hundred crunches and a 3 mile jog, 5 days a week, between now and your arrival. That should have you in good shape to keep up with 'the pack' by then :D

Stevo
03-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Thing is Pete... that's pretty sound advice from Adrian. It's a long, hard slog on that sand and the fitter you are - the easier it is.

I only did it once (in fog) and found it quite gruelling. Even walking around N. Monomoy for the day was tiring and I keep myself in fairly good shape!

jimS
03-29-2007, 03:39 PM
For the death marches, nothing beats a good night of sleep. Don't listen to Adrian and Stevo when they say, "let's have another round," while at the Squire.

juro
03-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Whiners. :lildevl::wink:

petevicar
03-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I am, to use a Yorkshire expression, as fit as a butcher's dog.
Or even a pork butcher's dog.

Pete

Stevo
03-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah righto Pete, you're suffering from a mild case of delerium. My advice, while in the Squire, would be to sit down, take a look at the karaoke song sheet and order another beer, while lubricating the vocal chords! :smokin: