Rhody IceBreaker [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhody IceBreaker

RayStachelek
03-09-2007, 03:03 PM
A kick off event to start the striper season unique to the Fly Fishing Forum

We still have some way to go before the event, but I just want to chum the waters for ideas and improvements.

Last year the event was moved to a later date in April on a Saturday morning. There was enough boats in the water to accommodate everyone. The locale was changed to East Greenwich Bay. A cookout was held afterwards at noon.

The results with these changes resulted in double digits of stripers being caught. We were able to prospect more area and find the fish easier. The boats kept everyone close; no angler was separated. No angler drove home with an empty belly.

What would you do differently or do we stand pat and play with the cards already in hand?

Ray

Smcdermott
03-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Ray,

I thought the event went well last year. This year may present a bit of a challenge for me as I will be away in Ireland for my sisters wedding the middle two weekends in April (14th and 21st) so that is one less boat if we schedule it one of those two weekends. The 7th is a bit early in my opinion and the 28th may be a bit too close to the Spring Clave but could offer some good fishing for those who would like to attend.

Sean

Adrian
03-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Depending on the date I'll probably make the trip although I hope to land my first striper later this month down here in CT :D

Sean, the middle two weeks of April could equal some very interesting trout and salmon angling opportunities in the Emerald Isle, depending on your location :smokin:

vtloon
03-10-2007, 11:45 AM
I'd certainly like to make it down, but it will depend on the actual date. It may be possible to get my brother's Mako (he doesn't know he's being volunteered). Alternatively, I might bring a 16 ft Lund.

RayStachelek
03-10-2007, 06:18 PM
We can shoot for April 28th. That's three weeks before the Spring Clave.

Last year it was April 29th, the last Saturday of the month. It worked out both weather wise and there were more stripers around.

jfbasser
03-10-2007, 06:37 PM
April 28th sounds perfect to me:biggrin:

vtloon
03-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I'll be in Utah then, but I shouldn't be a determinant.

TimSt
03-11-2007, 07:23 PM
and I'll be playing in the sandbox then; bummed that I'll miss this great event kicking off the season.

Catch a few for me!

artb
03-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Tim! Stay safe. We will be thinking about you. Enjoyed it when we were able to go fishing together, and hope to do it again.

Warren
03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Ray,
Sounds like a good idea again, I have a look at my schedule as the time gets closer and see if I can't plan a little better this year & not have to leave NH at 0300 to make a 0600 am launch:D

bonefishmon
03-14-2007, 06:32 AM
It will be my first. Missed the last two. Thanks Ray!

Phil

FredA
03-14-2007, 06:58 AM
I'd like to make this. Hopefully the weekend weather cooperates between now and then so I can get a jump on spring yard work.

rel1
03-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Ray- This'll be the first one I have missed as my grand daughter is being baptized that Sunday (29th) and I'll be out of state. I hope everyone has fun, and save some fish for when I get back. Ron

RayStachelek
03-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Rhody IceBreaker will we held Saturday, April 28th.

Ron,

Sorry to hear you'll miss your first IceBreaker. There goes your streak. Congratulations on being a grandfather.

Tim... If you can't come, How are we going to get Art here?

Phil.... We don't have Foxwoods here, just Native American names of places.

Warren... We'd love to have ya again. Great tasting cookies last year.

JBF... You and Slinger could be a tough team to beat.

vtloon... Would be a nice return to RI. Maybe get to Barrington.

Adrian... Nice to have you here in the "Natural." Talking materials here!

Sean... The date fits you schedule.... We need your Prop Wash!

Fred... Nice to get you to RI in the spring.

There will be more information to follow. Everyone is welcome.

Smcdermott
03-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Ray,

I'm in and will be happy to help with any logistics that I can given my schedule. I guess any recon will be up to you as well. I am going to do my best to get my boat ready to go before I leave for Ireland but this weather isn't helping.

Sean

Warren
03-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Sean, I forgot about the cookies, maybe I can talk the wife into cooking up another batch.

I may have talked a friend who has a boat into coming along for the ride. I'll keep you all posted as the time nears. I guess I better blow the dust off the nine wt & get practicing:D

Slinger
03-17-2007, 07:24 PM
4/28, 6:21 high in Greenwich Cove. Falling water all morning! This could mark the beginning of the second push into the bay! At worst the schoolie action will be fast and furious. Depending on weather I`ll try for a 6:00 launch to be on station for the turn. Could also see some Squeteague at that time.
Slinger

rhodyflyguy
03-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi, this is my first post here. If anyone has room on a boat for me, that would be great.

shaialude
03-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Ray,
Should have mentioned this at the meeting Tuesday. Will be interested in particpating and bring my boat, you know the one with the phony Whaler Stripes. Also willing to help out.

bonefishmon
03-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Phil.... We don't have Foxwoods here, just Native American names of places.

Ray. That reminds me. Even though that is my day off, I'm putting in a request for a vacation day so they don't schedule me for mandatory overtime! I'm not missing this one. Steve. If you or anyone else has room on the boat please save me a spot.

Phil

Smcdermott
03-23-2007, 09:22 AM
For those attending with a boat please indicate how many anglers you can take in addition to yourself. A brief description of your boat may help the organizers get a feel for how to schedule everthing.

Ray, please chime in if you think we need additional information.

I will be bringing my 20' Jones Brothers and can take two additional anglers in addition to myself.

Thanks,

Sean

RayStachelek
03-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Good news! Just talked to the board of "Make a Wish to Fish the Rhody IceBreaker.

Sean, you just have been voted in as Cochairmen of this event. That's if you want to take on the responsibly and salary that goes with it. :hihi:

It would be a big help coordinating the boating activity while I plan the logistics for food and participants list.

Nice to have you aboard, RhodyFlyguy, Ron, and Phil.
Hopefully larger than last year with plenty of baked beans left over.
All still had a great time.

Warren
03-23-2007, 02:46 PM
AS it stands right now, (subject to change of course) Myself along with my friend & partner Capt John Lockwood are coming down. I am not sure which boat we will bring. Either a twenty foot Jones Bros, or a 18 foot Lund Alaskan, which ever is ready to go I guess. But we should be able to take one fisherman either way. And either boat fishes great

As it gets closer to the 28th I'll let you know

rhodyflyguy
03-23-2007, 03:03 PM
I can also bring drinks (non-alcoholic, i can't buy those yet) plus whatever forks, knives, plates and napkins are needed.

mikez
03-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey I'd like to check out some early season action! Anybody got room for me in their boat?

Smcdermott
03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Looks like we are in very good shape with the current interest level from both boaters and passengers. I took a stab at a rough schedule. However, please do not let this schedule stop anyone from signing up. As in years past we will do anything we need to do to get everyone involved who wants to join in on the fun.

Slinger with Jfbasser and Bonefishmon
Capt Ray with RhodyFlyGuy and Adrian
Warren with Capt John and Fred A
Shaialude, Open, Open
Sean with Porkslice and MikeZ

Shaialude,

Can you take passengers if we need more spaces? If no one else jumps in we can do some trading mid day if people want to spend some time with others etc...

Sean

shaialude
03-28-2007, 09:03 PM
My boat is a 16' Dellquay(British version of the Whaler). I have room for one other flyfisherman. If you intend to put in at the EG Town Ramp, I've found the new ramp very difficult to launch and retrieve. I've been using the private ramp at the bait shop in Apponaug. I'll also tell Geno and his son David about this shindig and they may want to join in. Their boat may have room for another.

mikez
03-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Sounds real good to me!
What should I bring in the way of lunch/refreshments?
Where and when will we meet?

sean
03-30-2007, 08:15 PM
I should be able to make this. I will probably bring my new kayak/canoe thingy as well if the weather is not too rough and there is a decent place to launch close enough to some fish.. Not to be antisocial but it will probably be the first chance I have to test out my new rig in some open water. At least for half the day.

-sean

Adrian
03-30-2007, 08:21 PM
I could also bring mine and keep you comany - weather permitting.

That would open up a spot on the boat with Capt. Ray for some lucky angler :wink:

juro
03-30-2007, 08:22 PM
I am scheduled for a business trip that week and may not get back in time to join the festivities on Sat but things may change. I will follow this thread closely.
Thanks Ray

Warren
03-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Trouble in River City already,

Captn' John had to cancel out. Seems it is Youth Turkey Hunt weekend in NH. He is taking his son & nephew out turkey hunting. In my eyes that is a legitimate excuse to miss a day of fishing :D

So that means we are less one boat for now. I have a few others interested let's see what happens. I may be able to cook up something else.

In any event I am still coming down.

JimW
04-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Add another to the boat list - 20' CC I can take 2 in addition to myself. I have not uncovered or started the boat, replaced the bearings etc... but hopefully all will go smoothly. I should know if there are issues the week before the icebreaker.

Sean - I saw something like you describe at the fishing show yesterday, looks like a nice set up. It's not a bad idea to have some boats around when you try out the new craft since the water will still be on the chilly side.

Nick
04-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Ray,

Hoping to get back down there for this this year. Missed it twice in a row now, have to put an end to this streak. I've got a 16' CC and can take one more if fly fishing, two more if we want to sling some spinning rods. Taboo...I know, but if space is limited it will get more on the water.

I can't wait. Hoping to fire up the boat next weekend!

NIck

RayStachelek
04-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Roster and Boat Details modified as of Sunday, April 22nd.

Slinger (boat) Jfbasser & Bonefishmon
Capt Ray (boat) RhodyFlyGuy & Adrian
Sean Mc (boat) Porkslice & MikeZ
JimW (boat) Sean R. & Juro?
Nick (boat) one open slot
Capt Rene (boat) Bigcat & Fred A
DaveP (boat) Warren & Shaialude

More information will follow as the week progresses.
PM's will be sent out Friday regarding meeting place and directions.

Warren
04-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Ray,
Looking forward to Saturday, I worked on the old Dodge pick up yesterday & welded the power steering box mount back together so I can make the trip. ( had an off road mishap involving work earlier in the week. Total Bummer:frown: all is well now).

New reel is loaded up with some striper line & all the equipment is checked out, flies tied , new leaders etc..

The big question is; Has Sean survived his trip to Ireland? and is that fabulous Jones Bros of his ready to ready to go?:D

Nick
04-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Splashed and everything ran well. I'm ready to go, especially with this weather today!

RayStachelek
04-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Great News Nick......

Guys... Stayed tuned this week as I get more information from others and posts will change.

We seem to have more than enough boats so far... That's good news!

Slinger and I were out Saturday and caught 13 with a slim down keeper just at 28 inches.

Adrian
04-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Looking forward to it :)

Smcdermott
04-23-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm back and managed to dump the boat in the water yesterday and she is ready to go. I made my way up to Providence hitting a few spots along the way. Final tally was a big zero but water temps looked good. Another positive was the presence of what I believe were hearing in Greenwich cove. They were being harrased by the commorants but I could not find any bass on them. Lets hope the cool down predicted for later this week holds off and we can enjoy a nice get together on Saturday.

Sean

RayStachelek
04-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Roster and Boat Details modified as of Sunday, April 22nd.

Nick (boat) Dan Divine
Capt Rene (boat) Bigcat & Fred A

More information will follow as the week progresses.
PM's will be sent out Friday regarding meeting place and directions.

GregD
04-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi guys,

I have been anxious to get out after a month long corporate and personal tax induced coma. I tested out the Sea Ox in the yard and it fired up and runs good, not sure I can make it saturday or not with the boys sports schedule might be too tight. With a 11 oclock game and another at 3:00, I may have to wait till next weekend. Best I could do is a few hours in the early morning, not sure it would be worth it or not.

Good luck out there.

Greg.

BARDY
04-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi Capt. Ray
I will be on foot. I'm going to explore Colt State Park, at the Gut. Anyone wishes to join me is welcome.
:confused: Where, and how do you get to the BBQ after the fishing is done?

Brian O'Connor

juro
04-25-2007, 10:01 AM
I am 99% likely be in NYC for a family obligation this weekend... from the inside track rumors I hear there are lots of fish nearby so I would imagine there is a good chance of hitting it solidly this weekend there.

Good luck!

sean
04-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Hey Adrian,

Looks like we have more than enough boats so I think I am just going to leave the yak at home for this one. Somebody has got to keep Jim company :)

-sean

Adrian
04-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Hey Adrian,

Looks like we have more than enough boats so I think I am just going to leave the yak at home for this one. Somebody has got to keep Jim company :)

-sean

Yup, plenty of time to get wet this season :lildevl:

Looking forward to ridin' with the Cap'n :smokin:

RayStachelek
04-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Guys,

Check your PM's on this site.

Information and directions regarding the 6th Annual Rhody IceBreaker was sent out Wednesday evening.

This is the current registration to date as of Thurday morning.
Take note of this and know your boat detail. This information wasn't contained in the packet that was sent out.

Roster and Boat Details

Nick (boat) Fred A
Capt Rene (boat) Bigcat & one open slot

jfbasser
04-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Help! Where is the Dunkin Donuts on Rte 401! Help Help!

Smcdermott
04-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Help! Where is the Dunkin Donuts on Rte 401! Help Help!

JF,

Its not on 401 its on Main St (Rt 1). When you come down 401 you will hit a set of lights with a Sunoco on your right and a Shell on your left (this is right before you head straight onto Rocky Hollow in Ray's directions). Take a right at the lights onto Main and DD will be on your immediate left.

Sean

RayStachelek
04-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Good point... JB!

Dah! Forgot about the Dunkin addiction.
Can't start the day without it.

Thanks Sean!

Nick
04-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Brew it at home...nothing like making the whole place smell like DD!

juro
04-27-2007, 12:06 PM
The real reason I can't attend has nothing to do with my family obligations for the weekend but I heard there were no starbucks in that area :lildevl:

Seriously... I got that business trip re-scheduled but have promises to keep to family.

Smcdermott
04-27-2007, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=juro]The real reason I can't attend has nothing to do with my family obligations for the weekend but I heard there were no starbucks in that area :lildevl:QUOTE]

For those with Juro's discerning palate you will find the Starbucks located in the CVS plaza on Main St. :lildevl: Although I don't believe they offer fisherman's hours and walking in with your waders may conjure up a few more odd looks than in downtown Chatham.

Sean

Warren
04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
For those with Juro's discerning palate you will find the Starbucks located in the CVS plaza on Main St. :lildevl: Although I don't believe they offer fisherman's hours and walking in with your waders may conjure up a few more odd looks than in downtown Chatham.

Sean

ROFL, In Starbucks! .... I dare say it may involve a discussion with the local constabulary as to why you are dressed like a freak :chuckle:

I got smart this year.
I'll be heading for the West Greenwich Best Western in a few hours. I am not leaving New Hampshire @ O dark thirty like last year. Drive like a mad man for three hours to make a 6AM launch. Man was that a long day:Eyecrazy:

See you all in the morning

bonefishmon
04-27-2007, 04:51 PM
I am in doubt that anyone is traveling east on I-95 past Mystic, Ct. towards E. Greenwich. If so I'd love some company. Adrian is driving in from the north.

Phil

JimW
04-27-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm getting ready now - You can swim, Right Sean. Heading to the boat store for a drain plug. Not that anyone would forget that but I lost mine.:eek:
I'll see everyone ~6 tomorrow.

jfbasser
04-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info on DD....I expect the "homebrew" I leave home with will be expired by the time I get to East Greenwich..perfect time for a refill..see you guys in the am:smokin:

bonefishmon
01-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Can't wait. One of the best times on the water for me with the clan last year. A quote from the famous ditch rat Mr. Basser.
"Hey Phil. Was that your rod the Captain caught that keeper on." In reference to Captain Slinger hauling in the first keeper of the day on my rod right after handing it him to try. Heard that all day long. I'd gladly hand it to him again. Priceless.

Won't be long.

Phil

FishHawk
01-21-2008, 04:42 AM
I think I'll make it this year. Will let you know when the date gets closer. FishHawk

Adrian
01-21-2008, 06:07 AM
Unofficial Roddy Icebreaker (actually its referred to as the "Iceberg Festival") will happen at Charlestown Breachway Saturday January 26th.

A number of very silly folks from SOL will be in attendance.

There will be a lot of conventional gear but Fly-rodders may attend at their own risk - (beware of the dark side) :lildevl:

Folks will have grills etc. so bring something for the "pot" and dress warm :smokin:

RayStachelek
01-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Unofficial Roddy Icebreaker (actually its referred to as the "Iceberg Festival") will happen at Charlestown Breachway Saturday January 26th.

Adrian,

Hope your not confused. They are talking about the Forum get-to-gether in the spring. Remember.... you were there last year? :tsk_tsk:

Adrian
01-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Adrian,

Hope your not confused. They are talking about the Forum get-to-gether in the spring. Remember.... you were there last year? :tsk_tsk:

I remember it well :smokin:

Didn't want to cause confusion here but there really is a get-together this week-end in Rhoddy (Sat 26th) organized by the Rhode Island forum on Stipersonline "SOL".

It's called the "Icerberg" for obvious reasons, being mid January. Definitely not for the faint hearted but should still be fun - a bit like night wading at Point Jude :lildevl:

Hopefully by the time we get to the official "Icebreaker" things will have warmed up a bit :smokin:

TimSt
02-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Bump.

Ray, is it too soon to ask what weekend you're looking at doing the icebreaker this year?

Tim

Smcdermott
02-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Tim,

Great to see you on the boards with a fishing question. Hopefully the upcoming season will reward you for all your sacrifices the past few years. I think the better question is what weekend are you available?

Sean

Slinger
02-28-2008, 09:17 AM
I heartly agree, after all the time lost protecting us we should let Tim pick a date so that he can be sure to make it. Just pick an early morning high so we can hit a dropping tide.
Slinger

TimSt
02-29-2008, 04:19 AM
Hey guys,
Thanks for offering me first dibs on the date, but I'm not anywhere close to being able to commit--my homecoming date is still up in the air, and based on that (and little league, and soccer, and a million other things that need to be considered when you've been gone for 1+ year), I won't know my availability to fish for a while.

I'd be more comfortable with the Capt. Ray scheduling the date, as he always does, and as things firm up, I can let you know if I'll make this one.

Whatever ends up happening, I WILL be on the water this season. And you have no idea how much I'm looking forward to that!

Tim

Ron Montecalvo
03-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Had a great time last year, Ray. Will try to make it this year-may even get Geno. Sold my boat so will need to hitch a ride. No prune juice this year.
Ron

vtloon
03-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I hope to make it down for this. The boat I bought last Nov is still in Newport which could work out well. I had been worried about some hand surgery scheduled mid-April, but today grabbed a cancellation date 20 days earlier...that should give me a workable casting hand by late April.

RayStachelek
03-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Rhody IceBreaker!

Looks like a choice between two dates. If we move it one week later than last year, the tide is perfect. High tide would be 6:46 am on May3rd.

If we keep it on par with last years date, low tide is at 5:49 am on April 26th.
Low tide limits are fishing accessibility along the shores of Greenwich Cove. This denys us of some good fishing opportunities in the spring. The 26th is the last day of Passover too. Don't know if that effects anyone?

So at this time May 3rd seems best.

Any comments?

vtloon
03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
May 3rd would allow us to wear sombreros, serve Dos Equis, and call it a Cinquo de Mayo warm-up!

FishHawk
03-07-2008, 02:16 PM
May 3rd sounds good. FishHawk

Warren
03-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I am open for either day, May third tides look better Ray. Dos Equis Todd? You drivin?...LOL

Smcdermott
03-08-2008, 05:53 PM
May 3rd sounds good to me.

Sean

bonefishmon
03-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Rhody IceBreaker!

Looks like a choice between two dates. If we move it one week later than last year, the tide is perfect. High tide would be 6:46 am on May3rd.

If we keep it on par with last years date, low tide is at 5:49 am on April 26th.
Low tide limits are fishing accessibility along the shores of Greenwich Cove. This denys us of some good fishing opportunities in the spring. The 26th is the last day of Passover too. Don't know if that effects anyone?

So at this time May 3rd seems best.

Any comments?

Perhaps start a new thread for Rhody Icebreaker 2008. I inadvertedly started this one up from last years thread. May 3rd rocks! Should be awesome. Thanks Captain Ray.

Phil

vtloon
03-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Watch out; spam time. I don't think it wise to click on any of beauty's "look-ups"

Smcdermott
03-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Watch out; spam time. I don't think it wise to click on any of beauty's "look-ups"

Thanks for the heads up. I deleted another helpful post from Beauty.

Sean

RayStachelek
03-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Perhaps start a new thread for Rhody Icebreaker 2008. I inadvertedly started this one up from last years thread. May 3rd rocks! Should be awesome. Thanks Captain Ray.

Phil

Good point Phil.

After all the general disscussion on agreement of dates, ect, that's what I plan on doing. Keeps the new thread clean of any other clutter but the main topic.