Naples [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Naples

Venture
03-07-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm tagging along with my wife down to Naples Fla at the end of April. Got a day off on Monday April 30. Any suggestions? Seems there should be some tarpon activity in that area at that time of year. All suggestions are appreciated.

juro
03-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Howie -

Do a search http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/search.php on "Naples" lots of info.

I hope someone chimes in it seems there were lots of posts before and none after!

vtloon
03-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Do you have DIY in mind or guided? There are some good DIY opportunities (canal,roadside ditches, a couple of quarries with Tarpon and 2 rivers) for Snook, juvy Tarpon and Jacks along route 41 from Port of the Islands weir on the Faka Union Canal east to and including the Turner River.

That time of year will also see some of the early pushes of Big Tarpon, both heading north on the outside and filtering into the back-country. You need at least a boat on the outside, and a guide for the back-country.

PM me if you'd like.

Venture
03-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Great search feature Juro. Sounds like Naples is a good place. I will definately check out some of the areas mentioned while I am there.

Spoff4
03-09-2007, 08:48 PM
For an easy DIY in Naples that won't consume an entire day, walk the beaches at daylight before the oldsters start strolling. Look for snook right in the surf line out to about 10 feet from the surf line. Watch your shadow as the sun comes up behind you as it will spook the fish. A white/charteuese clouser or krystal minnow type fly ought to work. the fish are there all day, but as the day wears on they get skittish from people walking alng the beach. Also, Naples is about 45 minutes from Everglades City, which is a great place to fish, but generally with a guide or a boat. It may be tough to get a guide on short notice. If you rent a boat and have never been there before, you'll catch fish, but stay near the marked channels or outside passes that are marked. It's called the Ten Thousand Islands for a reason.