May in Mexico [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: May in Mexico

scrillz
03-05-2007, 10:50 PM
My wife informed me this evening that we are going to the cancun area on may 10th and staying for 5 days. We really don't have a final destination nailed down yet, just plane tickets to cancun. This will be our 3rd trip down there in the last year and a half. I've fished for bonefish last january in punta allen and had an awesome time. I'm looking for somewhere in the area that we could go that I can fish on my own, perferably flats fishing. However, surf fishing would be ok if i could have a shot at something bigger than the little 5 inch fish I've seen the locals catching in playa del carmen.
Does anyone have any recomendations for a lower priced fly reel that would be good for use in the salt. Thanks in advance for any info.

SteelBoneguy
03-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Ross Canyon and Lamson has some reels on sale at cabelas and ll bean. Or keep a close eye on Ebay deals can be had. I saved 300 bucks buying my brand new Abel Super 12 off ebay several wks ago.

Mexico- You can wander the beaches and get lucky hooking up w/ some bones first thing in the morning, fish the nonpopular swim regions and you may get lucky. My older bro in cancun was fishing for jacks and cudas w/ size 2 chrt/wht clouser on a steel leader and still caught a 3 bones!

If you got the cahoonies rent a car and drive south of Tulum you'll eventually find a bridge that leads to "real" salt flats. Do some searches and you'll find more info about this.

If I were you, do a one day guide trip w/ Pesca Maya they'll pick you up fish all day and drop you back off at your resort. What I did and was my best bone guided trips ever. I was staying at Playa Del Carmen.

scrillz
03-06-2007, 11:49 PM
We' ll probably not be staying in a "resort". Were looking at some cabanas in the tulum area and may actually stay in a palce inside the reserve. I did a trip down to the bay when we stayed in Playa, My guides name was Armando if anyone has fished with him. We got picked up by a guy named Rojo that drove us there and back. I'm not frieghtened of going it alone there, I just need to know the best places to go. Are any of the flats accessablr without a boat. What can I expect to catch if I'm just casting from the beachesIf anyone wants to go or is going I'd be willing to meet up and split a guide

SteelBoneguy
03-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Do some searches about the bridge south of Tulum, I don't have the info saved any where but I remember reading there are flats accessible at the bridge location. We drove over the bridge going to Pesca Maya. I imagine you drove over the little bridge as well. Hope that helps. Let us know the info you find and of course a fishing report!

When I was there fly type wasn't to important. Smaller flies like 6 was what my guide picked out w/ a real small chain bead eye to sink slowly as the flats were not very deep. For some of the bigger channels he tyed on a heavily weighted mantis shirmp pattern for permit.