Vieques or Culebra? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Vieques or Culebra?

bonefishmon
03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Found a reasonable flight to PR. According to reports, Culebra gets mobbed by flats fisherman in March. I am not all that concerned though. I will be bringing my daughter to her first island experience for all her hard work in school during her spring break. Which will she enjoy the most? Flying into San Juan and not sure what to do from there.

Juro. I sent you a PM.

Phil

juro
03-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Appears you did not get my PM?

bonefishmon
03-07-2007, 05:31 AM
I have 76 messages stored. 100 allowed. Your PM does not show. All reasonable seats to PR have been sold out but will try again tonight.

Phil

juro
03-07-2007, 08:21 AM
I put up a long post too. Servers been fried

What questions do you have?

sean
03-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Phil try this site:

http://www.site59.com

I use it for last minute tripos and you can get some really good deals on flights and hotels. Worth a shot if you guys are flexible enough to leave within a couple days of booking the tickets.

-sean

juro
03-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Great tip Sean

bonefishmon
03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I put up a long post too. Servers been fried

What questions do you have?

Juro. Thanks for your efforts. What do mean by fried? Your sent PM mail didn't get stored? Anyway, the misses has thrown a bug in our plans. Concerns for our well being from some of the horror stories she's been subjected to about PR. Her brother was badly mugged there. My post simply asked which island my daughter might like the most for snorkeling, sightseeing and the locals in general. Thinking I'd have her along for some flats time as well. We just want to get warm physically and emotionally. I always come back from the islands more relaxed.

Phil

juro
03-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I can only speak for Culebra. Wonderful but not bustling, quite the opposite in fact.

I would think a good family vacation in PR would go like this:

Land in SJU. Blow some money in Condado or Isla Verde, two nights maybe.

Fancy hotel, nice beach, amazing restaurants, schnazzy. Whole grilled snapper in carribean sauce, lobster tail, and a nightcap after espresso. Some gambling, to a limit. Dancing, the works.

Then take the $50 flight to Culebra. If you pay off the bellhop, leave everything at the highrise but the sandals, shorts and snorkel.
Dawn: fishing while the family sleeps
Beaches: Flamenco, Zoni or any of the many others but those two are pretty special
Lunch: Dinghy Dock or the grilled kabobs from the beach vendors ($2)
Dinner: Mamacitas
(Repeat)

Or reverse the order depending on whether you want to go from frill to chill or vice versa. Good luck with your planning.

bring a bottle or two of the Barillito 3-star from duty-free so the memories linger long into the deep freezes that come between today and stripers.

bonefishmon
03-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Thanks. Sounds like a plan.

Phil

Trucha
03-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Bonefish,

Just returned from P.R. and had a great time. I fished the island of Vieques for three days - way too short. Great time, beautiful beaches and friendly people.

We flew into San Juan and stayed in Isla Verde (Howard Johnson, just good) for a night. Got on an island hopper at Isla Verde Airport (on Vieques Air Link) and flew to Vieques. Got a rental and went to our budget hotel - more expensive ones there but it suit us fine. I walk a couple of times to the cay outside Esperanza and caught all the snapper I wanted. I will report on the trip in another post when I get some jpgs ready.

Return to San Juan and stayed at the Hotel Caribe Hilton. Expensive but in San Juan. Good food, superb beaches and friendly people.

Don't hesitate in asking anything you may think off.

BTW, Barrilito Ron, Tres Estrellas is everything Juro had said and more. It can compete with any cognac, any day.

Thomas.