Surf fishing Long Island [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Surf fishing Long Island

worstcaster
02-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Anyone have an experience fishing Long Island in the summer? I'm interested in trying it, in the summer. Any recommedations for time, location, flies, and presentations? I don't have much money, so I'm looking for public areas.

FishHawk
02-23-2007, 06:23 AM
Sunken Meadow State Park is a good place to start it's on the North Shore of LI,
You'll have to pay to get in. Also, I have not fished there but the South Side of LI is also good. Try Urban Angler in Manhattan and they'll give you the scoop.
FishHawk

Mike Oliver
02-24-2007, 07:21 AM
There is fantastic public access around Montauk. You have a choice of North shore and South shore just a short hop away from each other. The S Shore east of Ditch Plains has much interesting water for the mobile as on foot Fly Guy. Fish can be caught close in on the fly. You have Gin beach and the two jetties plus Culoden point which has some good fly water to. If you like open ocean beach structure you have the whole of the S Shore to target. Can be tough going there.
Mike

worstcaster
02-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have almost no salt water experience, so what do you mean by open ocean structure can be tough going?

Mike Oliver
02-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Sorry I made the classic mistake of assuming you would be familiar with the term My fault you are brand new. I envy you in a way because you are at the very exciting front end of the never ending learning process that is fly fishing.
Ok open ocean beach fishing. What I mean by open beach is ocean facing beaches rather than back bays. So you are getting the full force of wind and wave action. I am talking mostly here about sandy beaches where the effects of wind, storms, tides and currents pruduces all kinds of structure or if you prefer shapes in the beach. Typically you will get sand bars at anything from 10 yards to 50 yards from the beach edge. Sometime there maybe two or three bars. These bars will be cut in places leaving channels for Bass and bait fish to enter into. what you Guys call sloughs we call them gullies are formed between the beach edge and the inner or first bar. You get more than one slough if the beach has more than one bar but we will typicaly only be able to fish the first one.The water in these sloughs can be quite fast just like a river. Sometimes you get a bowl shaped scoop in the beach with very deep water in close and this is very obvious to spot. You spot the cuts where there is a rip going seawards by either actually spotting the fast moving surface layers of water moving back out to sea or by the fact that as these cuts are deeper the wave size is very much smaller in a cut than the rest of the beach. Much easier to spot cuts during sunny days in a good wave. You can also find this type of structure at low water on spring tides. Of course the structure is in a constant state of flux. Now the South Shore of LI is pretty long and the fish are not going to be eveny spread. In the fall you may spot blitzs and then its a piece of cake. But even in the fall you are going to have to read the beach and do a lot of walking and blind casting.
To most it's tough because you are faced with such a mind boggling large piece of water to fish. Also you have wind and surf to contend with. As you are new beaches like these will be difficult. I don't want to put you off but back bays and where strong winds are not golng to be in your face to start with will give you a better chance to cut your teeth without getting beat up and frustrated.
Fly fishing is no different to any other kind. Find current, find structure, find bait you will at some time find Bass. Easy said not always easy to do. To get an idea of ocean facing beaches go on to Google earth and then LI Find say Hither Hills area and scan along the sandy beaches. The maps are good enoiugh to show you bars , cuts and holes.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Mike Oliver
02-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Sorry I made the classic mistake of assuming you would be familiar with the term My fault you are brand new. I envy you in a way because you are at the very exciting front end of the never ending learning process that is fly fishing.
Ok open ocean beach fishing. What I mean by open beach is ocean facing beaches rather than back bays. So you are getting the full force of wind and wave action. I am talking mostly here about sandy beaches where the effects of wind, storms, tides and currents pruduces all kinds of structure or if you prefer shapes in the beach. Typically you will get sand bars at anything from 10 yards to 50 yards from the beach edge. Sometime there maybe two or three bars. These bars will be cut in places leaving channels for Bass and bait fish to enter into. what you Guys call sloughs we call them gullies are formed between the beach edge and the inner or first bar. You get more than one slough if the beach has more than one bar but we will typicaly only be able to fish the first one.The water in these sloughs can be quite fast just like a river. Sometimes you get a bowl shaped scoop in the beach with very deep water in close and this is very obvious to spot. You spot the cuts where there is a rip going seawards by either actually spotting the fast moving surface layers of water moving back out to sea or by the fact that as these cuts are deeper the wave size is very much smaller in a cut than the rest of the beach. Much easier to spot cuts during sunny days in a good wave. You can also find this type of structure at low water on spring tides. Of course the structure is in a constant state of flux. Now the South Shore of LI is pretty long and the fish are not going to be eveny spread. In the fall you may spot blitzs and then its a piece of cake. But even in the fall you are going to have to read the beach and do a lot of walking and blind casting.
To most it's tough because you are faced with such a mind boggling large piece of water to fish. Also you have wind and surf to contend with. As you are new beaches like these will be difficult. I don't want to put you off but back bays and where strong winds are not golng to be in your face to start with will give you a better chance to cut your teeth without getting beat up and frustrated.
Fly fishing is no different to any other kind. Find current, find structure, find bait you will at some time find Bass. Easy said not always easy to do. To get an idea of ocean facing beaches go on to Google earth and then LI Find say Hither Hills area and scan along the sandy beaches. The maps are good enoiugh to show you bars , cuts and holes.

I hope this helps.

Mike

worstcaster
02-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Yes, that is very helpful thank you.

Stan
03-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Anyone have an experience fishing Long Island in the summer? I'm interested in trying it, in the summer. Any recommedations for time, location, flies, and presentations? I don't have much money, so I'm looking for public areas.

When will you be on LI and where will you be located? There's plenty of places to FF so I'm just trying to narrow it down.

FishHawk
03-03-2007, 07:00 AM
LI is a great place , similar to the Cape in many ways. FishHawk