Fly Fishing Forum banner

Headed West and looking for some insight

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rippin_Lips 
#1 ·
Me and the MS's are planing our annual adventure for the summer and this year. We hoping to spend most of our time in the Montana,Idaho, Wyoming teritory. As of now the trip is schedualed for the last week in June through the second week of July. We travel in our 4- runner spending as much time as possible on public lands. We also like to take small backpacing trips (one or two nights) into the back country for some more remote fishing. Does anyone have any suggestions on were we can try?
Previously we made a trip to NewMexico and spent time back packing in the crusesbasin wilderness area (wild brookies) and the VillaVidal (Native cutts) and Hellroaring creek in Yellowstone (Bows,cuttbows, Cutts).
I'm not sure were to start looking and have no good information on winter runnoff and how it should effect our planning. Any first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
FishHawk said:
Check in at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone Montana. They'll put you on to some places to try. FishHawk
BRF is a good source.

Runnoff will likely play a large factor on your trip at that time. Although, we are having a BAD winter out here..... ???

There are some streams in and around Yellowstone that will be fishing well then. Sections of the Henry's Fork that will fish, (HF tribs usually fish well then too), the Gallatin SHOULD be in, Madison, Snake tribs around JH, Salt River (WY), Sliver Creek--Sun Valley area...................I could keep the list going, making this post WAY long so I'll stop :)
Bottom line is that runnoff WILL effect some of your choices regardless of how the rest of winter and spring turn out but there will be plenty of great fishing!

Feel free to PM me and I can give you more info and specifics.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply's.
I realize I need some more information so I ordered some literature for a frame of referance. If anyone could recomend a guide book that would also help.
Once I get a better lay of the land I would like to take you up on the PM.

I guess what I should have maybe asked is; if anyone can recomend a place off the beaten path were they spent the time to walk in and maybe stay a night that was extra special. Not only for the fishing but the beauty of the suroundings. If your like me you tell yourself that inspight of the effort you need to make it back even though we often don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.