Intermediate and floater Lines [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Intermediate and floater Lines

Mike Oliver
02-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Guys,

I need to re-equip myself with a 9wt set up. My buddy who is a relativelly inexperiemced saltvwater Fisher is doing the same. I may go the shooting head set up whilst my friend will almost certainly go the full WF fly line route. Venue is Cape Cod, flats ocean beaches back bays and fast deep inlets.
We need Intermediate lines, floaters and fast sink.

The I line I have been advised so far to be of the clear type. The choices are pretty overwhelming these days. Not easy to select from the various makers out there.
So in your opinions Guys who is making the best lines and heads for our needs. Your help is appreciated. Also any line to avoid to espcially those that missbehave in cold water.

Thanks
Mike

FredA
02-17-2007, 11:11 AM
As they say, "opinions are like a$$ holes everybody has one", but here's mine.

I've used Cortlands for the most part, 444SL's in clear intermediate and floater. I like them, they're a fairly nueteral WF line casting wise. The floater seems to grit up and get gummy in warm weather, needs frequent cleaning.

The last two years I've been using Wulff triangle tapers in a clear intermediate and floater and have come to like them a lot. These are more of a shooting line (not as neuteral as the 444's) and the running line is a bit thinner. Initially I was ready to toss them but the more I cast them the more I liked them.

Fast sinks, I like the Cortland QD's. 444 325 gr, and the 555 350 and 300 gr. I don't think I have used any others.

I've become skeptical about the advantages of clear lines and I don't think they are worth the disadvantage of not knowing where your line is or what it's doing.

Unless your fishing the Cape between late October and early May the cold water lines don't buy you anything and they gum up as you get into late June.

Note that these are just my opinions. I'm not a line connesoure (sp) and tend to live with whatever I have.

jimS
02-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Fred is right - everyone has an opinion on their preferences. I'm kinda committed to the Rio product line, and have used them the past 7-8 years on the cape. In terms of the intermediate lines, the Rio Striper has performed quite well over the years. It is a clear line, loads well for both in-close and long casts, with minimal tangling in a stripping basket. They also have an opaque intermediate that has the same taper, but can be charged with a flashlight for full luminesence at night. Great idea and doesn't appear to spook fish.

Two years ago I began using the Rio Outbound series of lines. I started using a prototype with an intermediate head/floating running line. The head is clear, 37.5 feet in length and weights 1.5 times above the stated line weight, e.g. 375 grains for a 9wt. It is a wonderful line for fast action rods. Loads very well for close sightfishing situations and is a cannon for long, blindcasting situations. It has a .030 running line and does tangle at times, but manageable.

This line is also available in type 3, 6 & 8 sinktips with an intermediate running line.

Floaters have been discussed at length in other threads here, but I seldom use one, even with crease flies. We do have proficient casters on this forum like Adrian and Sean who like to swing flatwings with a floater. I'll defer to the experts for their recommendations.

SageBoy
02-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Here's another vote for Rio lines. I have been using them for a few years now without any issues.

PEC54
02-22-2007, 09:48 PM
How about a floater with T-14 or lead core,make up your own lengths depending on the depth your looking for.Much better line control than full sinking.:hihi: