Back from Acklins [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Back from Acklins

DaisyChain
02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Hello All -

Pretty much a newbie to the forum as well as bonefishing on the fly. My brother and I decided to give our father a bonefishing trip for Christmas, and opted for a week down in Acklins graciously hosted by Bob Bergquist. As a family we've been a lot of places to fish, and I can honestly say that the fishing and scenery were by far the best I have ever encountered.

If anyone is still considering a trip, I highly recommend it. Unfortunately I can't compare Acklins with other bonefish adventures, as my last was when I was 10 years old tossing shrimp on spinning rods to schools in Bimini. However, I can say with confidence that this place appears unrivaled, and I feel as if I've been bonefish spoiled. The flats are breathtaking, the water crystal clear, and the fish abundant.

If you have a chance - definitely go! Whether experienced or beginner, I would HIGHLY recommend Bob's services - he is by far the most patient and knowledgable fishermen I've ever fished with.

DC

Trevor B
02-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the report, I leave in 3 weeks to fish with Bob, first real bonefish trip as well, can't wait.
great that you enjoyed so much
Cheers Trev

MRobertson
03-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Daisy Chain,
Glad to hear you had a good trip with Bob. Did you look for any tarpon while you were there?

Trevor,
What dates are you going to be there with Bergquist? I'm heading down there March 10-17 to fish with him.

Malcolm

Trevor B
03-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Malcolm
I'm down for the same week 10th to 17th, and all excited just like a june bride !
Daisy chain did PM me and I guess they did get into the Tarpon pond and jump a few and I think landed one, I'm looking forward very much to meeting everyone
See you soon Trev

petevicar
03-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi Malcolm & Trevor

It looks like we will be next door neighbours I am there from !0 thru 17 with Joe, Adam and Lou.

See you there

Pete

MRobertson
03-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Trevor,
Good deal! I will throw a tarpon stick in the bag. I look forward to meeting you. I have another buddy who will be with us during the first part of the week, unless I can convince him to stay on til Saturday.

Where are you staying Friday night? We will be in the Wyndham under Robertson or Lathrop.

Pete,
Look forward to meeting you and your crew as well. Felton's place will be all booked up it looks like.

Hoping for sunny skies and light winds.

Trevor B
03-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi Guys
I'm staying at the Orange hill for friday night, I understand it's fairly close to the airport. I'm looking forward to the fishing but also to meeting you guys, and I am sure learning from you as well. This Forum has been a great source of information I'm sure there will be some good stories to share over a Soda pop or two :)
Trev

juro
03-01-2007, 11:49 AM
You guys who are cutting your teeth in Acklins dont know how lucky you are :)

Many of us did our boot camp on the Keys.

Acklins is truly bonefish heaven... enjoy and post reports / pics on return.

Extend my regards to Felton, Bob and the wonderful people of Acklins.

MRobertson
03-01-2007, 12:17 PM
It is truly a special place...looking forward to getting back.

DaisyChain
03-02-2007, 09:35 AM
You probably won't need a Tarpon stick down there, an 8 weight works just fine!

MRobertson
03-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Cool. Where were you fishing?

juro
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
My guess:

Turtle Sound

Trevor B
03-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Would sure be nice to get a shot at a Tarpon, maybe a Cuda as well !
I have a 9wt that should be fine for Small tarpon I guess ?

DaisyChain
03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Would sure be nice to get a shot at a Tarpon, maybe a Cuda as well !
I have a 9wt that should be fine for Small tarpon I guess ?

9 Wt would be just fine - and there are more cuda around Acklins than I've ever seen before in my life - some monsters too!

Can't disclose the Tarpon location - as I believe Bob wanted it kept a secret (I definitely could be wrong, but I can't take the chance). If you fish with him he'll take you there for sure. I think he frequents these boards too so I guess you could ask him. Sorry I feel badly but I did get the feeling he didn't want it getting out into the mainstream.

DC

Trevor B
03-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I think that's perfectly understandable, I'm sure those who go there as regulars would know the places to go anyways, I would think that he, and others have put a lot of time and effort into researching these spots, so if they want to keep them a little secret then that fine I think !
PS I like the picture Daisychain , what a great memory !

Baggage
03-02-2007, 10:51 AM
You probably won't need a Tarpon stick down there, an 8 weight works just fine!
Nice work.How long did it take to land?

DaisyChain
03-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Nice work.How long did it take to land?

Probably 20-30 mins? I babied him a bit just to savor the moment (first tarpon on a fly).

MRobertson
03-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Daisy Chain,
I completely understand on the location. Perhaps I will beat it out of Bob when I'm there. :hihi:

Baggage
03-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Probably 20-30 mins? I babied him a bit just to savor the moment (first tarpon on a fly).That had to be alot of fun.Well done.