Tarpon flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tarpon flies

chesterlh
02-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations for flies for small tarpon, 3-20lbs. I will be fishing for tarpon of this size in April and in the past have use Gotchas, but I think there are better patterns. The larger tarpon flies are probably overkill, so some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

petevicar
02-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi Chester
In my experience tarpon of this size, unless they are in the middle of a ton of baitfish, will take about anything. I have caught them on clousers, deceivers, seaducers, wooly buggers and even a lot of different bonefish flies.
I think that the important thing is that the fly gets to their level, they don't need to move too much for the fly and you use good hooks. All tarpon have big mouths so there is no need to fish any smaller than #1 or 1/0. The small ones also seem to like flashy flies. They will only spook if you line them or bring the fly towards them. If they are not taking it is normally because something has spooked them, like sharks. Different patterns don't seem to have any effect. If they are not taking then try a heavier or lighter fly and if that doesn't work then try somewhere else.

Pete

Eric
02-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Cockroach. At least this is a big favorite in the mid-Florida waters I've fished.

-- Eric