Paradise Island [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Paradise Island

andre
02-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Looking for some pointers- directions, general help

I'm headed to the Atlantis Resort from (3/9-3/19) and would like to get in some bonefishing/ fishing. I know this is prime steelhead but hell it is time to get out of the rain. Its my understanding the flats fishing is somewhat limited, but Juro mentioned a guide (driver) yesterday prior to his departure. He didn't have his card so I thought I would post the question, anyone know the guy.

I'm more of a DYI try it out kind of guy. How would the DYI be on PI? how is the access to fishable waters? Ok, tell me where to stand (pm) Can anyone provide suggestions, pointers, recommendations... I'm not proud and I'd be happy to return the favor to anyone looking to come steelheading. I just want to catch a frick'n bone fish.

andre

jimS
02-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Andre, the name of the taxi driver, Juro mentioned, is Freddy Bain, tel 242.454.3959. We don't know anything about him, except he was wearing a Simms hat, and mentioned he did guide for bonefish. I also don't recall if it was from shore or he had a boat.

There is bonefishing on the south side of New Providence, according to Stephen Vletas. He has an excellent book on the Bahamas, "The Bahamas Fly-Fishing Guide.

The other fishing on New Providence, again according to Vletas, is off-shore. Its a short ride from Nassau Harbor to some fertile areas for wahoo, tuna, sails and dorado.

Andros is a 10-minute flight from Nassau. Might want to make a day trip.

petevicar
02-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi Andre
I have just come back from a trip to Andros. Interestingly enough at Nasau airport waiting for the plan to fly to Mangrove Key I bumbed into an Andros guide called Joel Moxey. As we flew out of Nassau he pointed out the best places on New Providence for bonefishing. There are apparently some good spots. They all look the same to me. If you want I can give you his contact details.

I will be in Nassau on March 8 & 9 before going to Acklins.

Pete

Baggage
02-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Where did stay/fish on Andros?

andre
02-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Pete, that would be awesome if you could send it to me (pm). Enjoy your trip I know we will!

Jim, I will look into the day trip dealeo. I will also contact Freddy Bain and see what the story is with him. Any particular recommendations on patterns, etc?

petevicar
02-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Hi Baggage
I stayed and fished at Mangrove Cay Club.
It was great. I'll write a report if you like.

Pete

andre
02-16-2007, 03:17 PM
"Andros is a 10-minute flight from Nassau. Might want to make a day trip"

This also sounds like an easy thing along witht eh fast ferry maybe I'll look at doing both. How is the DYI on Andros?

Freddy Bain any relation to Simon Bain?

maybeck
02-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Ther is a guide working out of PI.
Simone Bain 242-535-6726
I have not used him but the reports are that he is good but somewaht expensive $700.

maybeck
02-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Ther is a guide working out of PI.
Simone Bain 242-535-6726
I have not used him but the reports are that he is good but somewaht expensive $700.

rogcon
02-19-2007, 07:59 AM
$700 is only somewhat expensive ?? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andre
04-01-2007, 11:59 AM
I will provide more detail later but we got back a couple of days ago and had a great time. There are Bonefish on NP, I got into them and saw schools of hundreds of fish. We also searched for some tarpon but couldn't find them.

andre
04-01-2007, 01:57 PM
I will provide more detail later but we got back a couple of days ago and had a great time. There are Bonefish on NP, I got into them and saw schools of hundreds of fish. We also searched for some tarpon but couldn't find them.

petevicar
04-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi Andre

Sounds like a good trip.
Who did you end up fishing with?

I stayed at Atlantis for a couple of days on my way to Acklins and I spoke to the guy who was running the preditor feeding show one morning. He told me that the tarpon at Atlantis were caught in a couple of landlocked freshwater ponds on the island.

Maybe next time we should ask him where.

Pete

juro
04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
He told me that the tarpon at Atlantis were caught in a couple of landlocked freshwater ponds on the island.

whirrrrr - buzzzz - ding!!! HMMMMMMMMMM...... :D

andre
04-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Pete,

I ended up fishing with Freddy Bain. Talk about a great guy with lots of local knowledge. He was a cop for 16yrs on NP. He took me to the land locked areas where the tarpon had been but we could not find them. Freddy felt they may have been poached. We fished a flat he has access to and I had a blast. After fishing he took me to cable beach for some Conch Salad and Guniess.

Every turn he knew someone it was pretty strange, I mean everywhere! Walking down the street we got stopped by a couple of guys he knew who said "you fishing with Freddy, you ok! we have a place in Acklin you can stay at, not the lodge my house"...

I have his contact info and if anyone wants it send me a PM. Freddy is Simon Bains brother, they also have at least on other brother who guides. If you go to Paradise or NP islands I would say time well spent. When I go back I well without question go out with Freddy again. It's not on the fish this guy can not stop smiling.

Did you see the size of the bones near the Preditor pool OMG!

jimS
04-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Andre, so how was the catching? I'll be staying in Nassau for a few months at the end of the year. Sounds like I need to contact Freddie.

n1gdo
04-07-2007, 01:12 PM
JimS
You are unreal... so you will be in Nassau for a couple of months at the end of the year??!! Do you intend to take side trips to other islands ? Like the Fast Ferry to Eleuthera...(Spanish Wells or Harbour Island) etc ? I have to retire and follow you around!! Hope to see you in Chatham in June..

jimS
04-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Hey Frank, things don't necessarily appear as they appear. We have a time-share on Cable Beach with 10 weeks we need to use in 2008. Side trips are definitely planned, especially Andros and Acklins. Also, I'll definitely checkout the fishery on New Providence.

Still planning on Acklins in November, and you?

I'll be on the Cape mid-May thru Jul 1, so we can linkup for another good time on N. Monomoy and thereabouts.

n1gdo
04-08-2007, 09:13 AM
JimS

So far I am still on for Acklins with you in November...

We can discuss in detail when we meet in Chatham... I will get down there sometime during your stay... in June....hopefully with Dave (the other Dave not that bonefish weenie Dave17 !!! uh oh I am going to pay for that one!) ...

Sounds like New Providence could be a good spot to explore... I tried it while on stopovers but never had the detailed info that this great forum has given us.

See you soon!

andre
04-14-2007, 11:28 AM
If anyone wants Freddys contact info send Juro or myself a PM.