Eleuthera in March [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Eleuthera in March

mugsy
02-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Our group will be in Eleuthera for ten days in March. We have rented a house, on the beach near long point on N. Eleuthera. It is just across from Man Island. We will also have a boat (20 ft skiff) and a jeep, but I expect we will focus on the immediate area (we won't have a trailer to road the boat). Looking at the charts and google earth, it looks like there should be good bone fishing in the bight/mangroves between our rental and the airport flats and also around man island; and reef fishing around devils backbone. Input from souls experienced with this area would be greatly appreciated! Also any input on availability of blue water fishing and B.W. guide recommendations would be helpful. Looking at the charts, traversing Devils Backbone and getting to blue water from our location looks like it could be more adventure than we are looking for.

MarshRunner
02-13-2007, 09:46 AM
You should also find fish on the west side of Eleuthera in Corrie Sound just south of Spanish Wells. You are right Devils backbone is not for the inexperienced. Try to get one of the fisherman in Spanish Wells to run it with you if you are going to try it.

Dick B

mugsy
02-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Thanks Marshrunner. We actually fished Cory Sound last year when we stayed in Spanish Wells and did O.K. Our boat was too big to go into the sound and wading is difficult due to the muck, but we did catch bones. Have you fished the east side of N. Eleuthera? I'm wondering about the wading there also, although we will also have kayaks.

MarshRunner
02-15-2007, 06:59 AM
Much of the flats areas on the east side are backcountry sounds with very soft bottoms like Inner Sound near the airport and the area west of Saunder's Is. Best hard bottoms are near Man Is and Pigeon. Email me if you want to discuss further.