april destinations [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: april destinations

wallythekulak
02-10-2007, 03:15 PM
trying to plan april fly fishing vacation with non-fishing wife and 9-yr old son. trout or salt fine. am thinking rockies will be unpredictable that time of year.

caribean or mexico??? any recommendations?

Rippin_Lips
02-10-2007, 04:00 PM
The Rockies can have some nasty weather in April BUT if you and the family ski....you're in business!! Colorado is probably your best bet.
OR
West Coast Stealhead,
OR
Tahoe area can produce that time of year.....especially if they continue to see warm temps.

wallythekulak
02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
thnks. i guess i need to keep an eye on snow pack, water flows, etc. colorado may be best bet

bonefishmon
02-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Get yourself to Nassau. Bahamas Air to Eluethera. A pricey flight but you can find a home rental with a car for about $1200 and enjoy some warmth and a few bones while your wife absorbs some vitamin D. If she likes to exlore beaches and flats she'll love being nearby while you fish an incoming tide. It's cold where you are right now. They'll love to see the out islands.

Phil

Vince
02-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Eleuthera is a great choice. I've been going for 7 years with my family and we all love it.
Check out these pics:
http://www.cattarauguscreekoutfitters.com/viewsection.asp?SectionCode=lutra2006gangcuda

PM me for more info.

Angelo
02-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Easter week, Ambergris Caye, Belize. Get in touch with Severro Guerrero (~$220 for a full day on his skiff "Rosangela"). He will put you on a Grand Slam at least once, and this is an excellent time of year for it too. Bonefish are on the smaller side max 4-5 lb., but you'll cast to schools of 50-100 at a time. Ambergris Caye is also non-fishing partner/family friendly too, and there are even side trips on the mainland to ruins and Jungles. Snorkelling is incredible just a 1/4 mile trip off the beach with innexpensive guided trips by knowledgeable locals. For divers, the marine life is insane. Good places to eat, safe, and also some night life if that's your game. Very laid back environment.

Colorado Cajun
02-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Here in Colorado, April is an awesome time for fishing. If lake fishing is your thing, they are in the middle / end of ice off and the trout are hungry. The Arkansas River from Canon City to Salida is hot during that time. April to me is the best month on the Ark. You have Blue wings coming off on cloudy days and Caddis on nice sunny days. I have family coming in on April 14 and leaving on the 21st. I'll probably be fishing the first and last weekends of April. PM me if you will be here during that time and what to fish. I can put you on my favorite spots.