Tarpon rod. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tarpon rod.

FishHawk
02-08-2007, 05:18 PM
What's rods have you used with success on tarpon? Is a 12wt ok? I would like the brand if possible. I'll probably make my own rod so I'm thinking a 12wt Horizon II. I'm after medium size Tarpon . I don't know about the giants that would take a guide for sure. Which I plan to do in the future. Thanks
FishHawk

SteelBoneguy
02-08-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm far from a tarpon expert. Only caught 10-30lbers. Been after the big guys a couple of times come up empty handed. Round two this spring..

I'f your going to for med 50-80lbers I'd build a 10 or 11wt. A 12 is one mean big stick made for the big dogs. In one of Leftys books he said a lot of people have trouble casting larger wt rods (12wt). That a modern 10wt is perfectly capable of landing fish to 100 (can't remember his exact quote I think he said 120lb).

Only an opinion

Dave17
02-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Bill

I have the Xi2 12 wt and love it!!! My guide and I were messing around with it on my last outing and we were able to bomb out casts that were fly-line and some backing while maintaining a delicate presentation and a great deal of accuracy.

Personal opinion, but I like an ultra fast rod when I'm throwing a line that is that heavy.

jimS
02-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Bill, Dave is spot on with the Xi2. I don't know about the other brands, but I do know that the Xi2 is designed for large fish and has a butt section designed for lifting.

I'm not sure that you need a 12wt, unless you are targeting tarpon over 100lbs. A 10wt will handle fish below that weight. Since you already have a Tibor Riptide, you've got the reel for a 10wt. If you go with the 12wt, then you'll have to invest in a Gulfstream.

FishHawk
02-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the info guys . Dave if you can bring that rod up North when your here would like to see it in action. Jim, another Tibor will break the bank:hihi:
I like the Xi2 and that will be my next rod. Perhaps I'll compromise and make the 11wt which should work fine with the Riptide. You can see that I have cabin fever.
It won't be long now Jim and Dave May is around the corner.
FishHawk

vtloon
02-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I don't know where you will be fishing, but unless there is a lot of deep water around, a 10 wt should be just fine for the fish you are after. There are some interesting alternatives to consider: the fish in my avatar we calculated as just over 80#. This was a fish from under the mangroves in the back-country south of Chokoloskee...5 ft of water is a deep hole. The rod I used was a 9 ft single-piece "Billy Baroo" 8/9 wt made by Biscayne Rod Company. Reel was a Tibor Everglades. Except for the jumps, I had the rod bent to the handle for about a 35 min fight.