Clear intermediates [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Clear intermediates

Stevo
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I suspect that this topic has been 'done to death' elsewhere - or even on here a while back - but as I havn't seen it, I'll raise it again now.

Has anyone here recently bought or used Rio's Striped Bass clear int line (with the luminous running line)?
If so, how does it compare to say Cortlands 444sl or Airflo's clear int lines?

Smcdermott
02-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I have a RIO Striper line that is a few years old and like it. Not sure if they have changed it much since. I also had a 444 that worked well but it got prematurely chopped to pieces in my prop two years ago. Personally I would stay away from the Airflow if it is the coldwater series (unless they have changed it). That line is great for when the water is in the 50s but it will start to turn to spaghetti as the water warms and flat out turn to a sticky mess on the deck of a boat in August.

Sean

juro
02-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Like Sean I find my Rio striper lines not only to be great fishing tools but very durable. I have one that is twice Sean's line's age (not the luminous) and bought new out of sheer habit. It's a little faded looking from so much use in currents and sand but functionally perfect and will still catch fish if I string it up.

jimS
02-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Stevo, the Rio Striper line with the luminescent head/running line is slick, but the color is a pale tint, not clear. I like it for long casts, but does not load a fast rod for short casts.

For the past couple of years, I've been using the Rio Outbound with an intermediate head and floating running line. Because the head is 1.5 times heavier than its rated size, it loads a rod nicely for short sightfishing throws, and is a cannon for longer casts. The running line is about .030 and does tangle at times, but I really like it.

If you're coming over in June, you can play with both of them.

juro
02-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Other than the dog days the bass have been leading me to believe that the clear line is not as important as I once thought. I've been using non-clear lines because of specific grains / taper matching experiments and the fish didn't seem to care as long as the color was very neutral (like a cloudy white).

Sinking (black) lines are another story but I have to conclude based on what I have experienced over the last few years that clear is only critical during the most persnickety periods of the summer, and even then can be trumped by good presentation.

Frankly even a sinking line can be effective in the dog days with good presentation. The problem with it is you really only get frontal shots. Crossing and passing shots are significantly disadvantaged on the flats with a hi-density line.

Stevo, we'll have to see what the closure of the southway does to the dog days schedule this year while you are here. No doubt the lack of oceanic flush will increase vegetation and temperature inside, but that will also raise fertility and we will start to see blue crabs and many other shoreline creatures which increase food sources for big bass albeit not during the day.

Although I would bet my bottom dollar that I already know what the spring fish will do, my prediction for summer fish that hang in the refuge is that they will get into a noctural cycle to take advantage of the increasingly fertile hunting inside the refuge under favorable conditions once the temps reach bathwater again. (years ago I used to fish Morris at night a lot and everything really turned on when the lights went out)

I think Pleasant Bay will get a bigger resident population, it's been holding cool water the last few years with the channel on the north side sculpting Nauset beach tip in a state of total flux.

Last year things got stuffy at South Beach and it wasn't even closed up. Fish were few and picky. This year after the migration the west shore of South beach would be poor habitat unless the Nantucket Sound water temp plummets for some reason and provides a moderating influence on the inside basin of the refuge. Not likely.

Most of us are pretty sure good daytime fishing is going to be somewhere other than the South Beach flats unfortunately by mid/late June or early July.

The South tip rip will be as good as it ever was, now that every fish in the entire migration must pass it.

Who knows! It's going to be fun to solve the puzzle though.

Stevo
02-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Guys

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Jim, yes we will be over in June for 10 days. Jamie and I are out from the 13th through to the 23rd June, so it would be great to hook up and have a fish together. I'm hoping that I may yet get to wear that fez?

I'm also hoping the Squire will be loaded with nubile girlies for me to ogle?! :whoa: :D

Mike Oliver
02-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi Stevo,

It looks like I just can't avoid you wherever I travel or on which forum I participate in. See you at the Bass AGM.

Hi to everyone else. I am new today and found this forum researching for information on Cape Cod and in particular the Monomoy flats. I am coming out with yet another Englisman Dean on June the 4th and we have 14 days of hard fishing to enjoy. I will probably have a beer with Stevo and Jamie at some time. Just my luck to learn that the channel has sanded up and that the Flats are going to be so different from previous years.
To date most of my flyfishing has been in Montauk in the fall , but I have been promising myself a trip to cape Cod for a long time.
Quick question not sure it's being asked in the right place but here we go anyway.
It is possible to take a ferry ride to South Monomoy.
Cheers

Mike

jimS
02-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Welcome to the forum! A great bunchg of guys and loads of info on all aspects of flyfishing. Specific to your question: With the closure of the southway (former channel between South Beach and South Monomoy), Keith Lincoln, owner/operator of the Rip Ryder can better answer your question.

In the interim, S. Beach, N. Monomoy, & Morris Island will continue to be fish producers and change is the only constant on the elbow of the cape.

Adrian
02-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike!!!

Access to South Monomoy is heavilly restricted during the spring/summer/fall months to protect nesting brids. Many areas of beachfront even prohibit landing by boat.

There are a couple of access points, one at the Soutern Tip that allows access to the famous South Monomoy rips from the beach. As Jim said, those trips are arranged through the forum with Keith and are heavilly weather dependent.

The closure of the Southway will change things but there will still be a lot of great fishing to be had during May and June both inside and of course, don't forget the outside (surf) also.

Looking forward to meeting you in June!

Mike Oliver
02-16-2007, 01:26 PM
JimS and Adrian

Thanks for the warm welcome. Must remember the over the shoulder look. If I can get my Kelly Kettle to function ok stop by for a brew on the flats.

Mike

FishHawk
02-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Glad your here Mike. Once you get a taste of the Flats you'll be coming over here every Spring and of course not to mention the "wee dram "at the Squire after fishing will top the day. FishHawk:smokin: