Sans Guides for best locations? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sans Guides for best locations?

Venture
02-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Where is the best locations for one to productively wade and fish the flats solo "sans guide'. The only great time I ever had with a bonefish guide was my first trip in the Berry Islands. Since then, I have enjoyed fishing solo and wading the flats on my own. The solitude and adventure of going solo has always been very rewarding even when the fishing is tough. I really don't enjoy being poled around and told to cast "at 12 oclock at 60 feet", only to hook up.

I have had some great experiences on Eluethra on the airport flat, on Turks and Caicos being dropped off and picked up, and in St Johns on the up island flats. Anyone have any other areas where one can be productive on their own? Looking to book a spring trip before I go up to the Gaspe.......

juro
02-05-2007, 09:06 AM
easy...

Acklins

josko
02-05-2007, 10:19 AM
not Andros, unfortunately.

BigDave
02-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Howie I am interested to hear how you liked Eluethra. I am planning a DIY trip this spring as well and looking for options.

I would consider Acklins but will be with the girlfriend so we will at least need to have access to a restaurant, bar, nice beaches to keep her happy.

I like the fact that Eluethera has a number of road-accessable flats. My only concern is I that I will spend the entire week learning where and when to fish, rather than actually fishing....

Vince
02-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Acklins & Eleuthera--both great for DIY fishing.
BigDave, pm me and I'll give you a few good locations to try on Eleuthera. I can also give you the spots to take your girlfriend for dinner!

Vince
02-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Acklins & Eleuthera--both great for DIY fishing.
BigDave, pm me and I'll give you a few good locations to try on Eleuthera. I can also give you the spots to take your girlfriend for dinner!

Jamey McLeod
02-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Next to the city boat launch in Grand Haven MI. The bones have a bit of a goldish tint...............Oh yeah, and whiskers, but not a one of them under 10lbs:hihi: :hihi:

Venture
02-07-2007, 07:10 AM
I never heard of the Acklins. Please let me know where they are and what they are like.

As for Eleuthera, I fished solo every day at the flat right by the airport. You cannot miss it. Its right by the airport..... I am sure there are other flats there but that one kept me busy for the entire trip.

I hired a taxi to drop me off and pick me up at a designated time and spot each day. That flat is pretty big, and had many schools of bones on it every day. At the time I was there, the fish were not big, but they were very plentiful. Also there is the occasional huge cuda just sitting around in 1 foot of water doing the same thing as I was doing......looking for bones. They look like a dark submerged log until they start to move. So bring some cuda flies or a spinning stick with a tube on it ready to go.

flyfishingwes9
02-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Mayaguana is the island that i have herd most about in mags for DIY fishing in bahamas. try fly fishinginsalt.com for report on it. ps i am sorry if posting another site is frowned upon i am new to the forum.