Newbie looking for a good set up [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Newbie looking for a good set up

01-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Hey guys.

I have been fishing for a long time now and I always wanted to try fly fishing. The only thing is i dunno what type of set up to get. My price limit is nothing over 140. And i mainly fish for bass and panfish.

01-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Do you have a flyshop in your area? You might even get a free casting lesson in the parking lot.

02-01-2007, 11:07 AM
No i dont I would have to order it off the internet. I know a guy that fly fishes and i have talked to him about teaching me and he said he would.

02-01-2007, 04:40 PM
i got redington RSII combo for similar money. great initial set up and the 5w has very nice progressive action for easy learning. still a great rod after spending thousands on this obsession. lifetime warranty to boot. still a bunch of pre sage buy out stuff available and i suspect Sage manages redington with the price point consumer in mind. its a disease. prepare yourself. secure your finances and a private allowance account before jumping in.

02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
its a disease. prepare yourself. secure your finances and a private allowance account before jumping in.

And, prep your significant other for all the time she will be spending by herself....if she doesn't choose to take up the habit.

02-02-2007, 12:16 AM
I am looking at two rods right now. They are

Cabela's Genesis™ Fly-Fishing Outfits

Temple Fork Outfitters™ NXT Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Outfits

Now i read somewhere that the Genesis has a plastic reel seat does anyone know if that is true or not?

What do you guys think?

02-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Not sure about the plastic reel seat??????

Cabellas has a great, no questions asked....full replacement, warranty program on their rods!

TFO is a great option as well in your price range!

02-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Usualy before i buy something on the internet i try and locate some reviews on the product sence i cant see it in person. A few people mentioned about the plastic reel seat. so thats why i am wondering.

02-02-2007, 11:14 PM
When you say your limit is $140, is that just for the rod and reel?

Redington and Cabelas are good places to start, though I'm always a bit anti-megahugestores so I wouldn't get the Cabelas rod even though there stuff is great quality. I highly recommend you look at a St Croix setup. Cortland also has some great entry level setups.

For panfish and bass, I'd get a 9 ft 6 wt rod. That will still make the panfish fun, but have enough backbone to cast larger bass flies.