Shanghai in May [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shanghai in May

Whiplash
01-30-2007, 03:21 PM
I'll be spending about three weeks in May in and around Shanghai with down time on the weekends. I can bring a light spinning rod or a 8# 3 pc fly rod.
I'm thinking light spinning with the standbys -bucktails, kastmasters and swimming plugs .Or do I go with clousers,deceivers and shrimp patterns? Any thoughts?

juro
01-31-2007, 09:09 PM
I don't think anyone can tell you which you prefer but I can say what I prefer.

This is interesting though... from what I've heard you should leave them both at home and bring a cormorant! ;)

Andrew Ayer
02-01-2007, 04:48 AM
I have lived in China for 5 years and have never met anybody who has successfully flyfished either in Beijing or Shanghai... Dude, I have a rod and reel and would love to go fishing with you if you know where!

Whiplash
02-01-2007, 09:29 AM
It's a big coast there has to be some place to throw something were it won't dissolve your line. Have you tried West Lake in Hangzhou? Water quality "looked " better than most of the waters I saw in China. There's not a lot of info on fishing in China that I can find but if nothing else maybe we can get together for a few Tigers when I come over. Last time I was there they were .45 cents per pint, made for a long night.