WY,MT,ID.....Who's been out? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: WY,MT,ID.....Who's been out?

Rippin_Lips
01-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Anyone been out wetting a line recently in WY,MT, or ID? I am itchin' to start the season and would love to hear any reports!
Cheers!

juro
01-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Curious, how is the winter time out that way? Much of the country is lacking in liquid form of water at this time at those longitudes.

mugsy
02-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Juro,

Cold and getting colder, with zilch for snow! Lots of ice gorging, solid ice, ice shelves - not much safe water with exception of some tail waters. I talked with a fly shop in Ennis yesterday and there is some action on the upper Madison, above Varney Bridge. Hoping to give it a try next week or so if we get above "freeze your _ _ _ off" temps! We usually get some decent fishing in on the braids below Ennis before it closes the end of Feb. but it isn't looking good this year (especially since I'll be in the Bahamas from Feb 20th until March 13th)

Lack of snow doesn't bode well for the coming summer either!

Brad
02-01-2007, 09:54 AM
We are having just the opposite winter weather so far. The front range has had seven snowstorms with more predicted this week. The snow pack is over 100% for much of the state. It has been unusually cold as well so the snow is sticking around. Many of the rivers and lakes are frozen solid limiting us to fishing tailwaters. Just because you can go fishing in the winter does not mean that you should.

Rippin_Lips
02-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Juro,

Western WY is having weather similar to MT. It has been COLD & DRY !!! Looks like we are in for another exceptionally cold week with a little snow. Tough fishing when the temps are only reaching the single digits during the day and well below zero at night. However, I usually start my season in early - mid february. Things usually don't heat up until mid march but fishin is fishin!
It appears that our local fisheries will suffer in the upcoming season as a result of this winter unless the snow picks up and we have a wet spring. That being said, there is still great fishing to be had in these parts Feb- Nov...depending on where you go.
The Snake resembled a Quickie Mart slushy this morning... :( Looks like I will be holding off for at least another few weeks.

Rippin_Lips
02-01-2007, 04:42 PM
For those of you in the western WY, or southwestern MT areas check out this report: http://www.eastgateanglers.com/current_fishing_report.htm

Just as I was complaining about the lack of fishing in our area right now, I checked the Eastgate Angler's report....

If they are haulin in Bows like this one, I might have to make the trip next weekend and start the season!
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/aschwertfeger/bigbow.jpg

FYI: This is obviously not me and I can't take credit for the photo....took it off of the Eastgate Angler's site mentioned above.

edsly42
02-01-2007, 05:14 PM
caught 3 whiteys and one healthy ~12" cutt, all nymphing last friday on the snake in jhole. 17 degrees and iced up guides but I got a few fish, ill take it. nothin like that rainbow though, wow

ffffg
02-10-2007, 10:34 AM
i try to get out if its above freezing in the helena area, the missouri doesnt freeze over.. ive cought two when my days off corespond with a nice day.. its been very slow, ive caught only two.. but the days are getting longer and its getting warmer overall and it wont be long now before the runs start trickeling in.. korkers with felt and tungsten studs will stop the slipping on ice, but smooth rocks and smooth concrete then are a problem.. youl slip on the concrete, break a leg on the ice so i like the korkers and can change soles for jumping ducks , icy rivers, and summer.... dave

Rippin_Lips
02-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Fished the South Fork a few days ago. It fished very well. We have had almost a week of down right HOT temperatures here in WY------it hit 50 a few days...mid-upper 40's the other days with warm nights!!!! Very strange for such long warm spell here. Turned the fishing on though :) Just hope we can get some more moisture around here!
I'll be fishing the Henry's Fork and Lower Maddy next weekend and into next week. Hopefully I will have a positive report!

tetonshaggy
03-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Fishing on the south fork has been outstanding for over two months now. We have been catching between 50 and 80 each day on streamers.

In December Tom Fenger caught a 30 x 22 inch hybrid on a streamer.

Over the course of about 10 days we caught a 23, 25, 26 and 27 inch fish.

(link removed)

Rippin_Lips
03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Very nice work! PICS?

Rippin_Lips
03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Tetonshaggy: welcome to the board. It's good to have someone else from our area here!