mini-clave report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: mini-clave report

jared
10-23-2000, 01:41 PM
Mini-clave….was nice to meet the few of you I managed to: (Art driving Quentin & Jen in to Quonny as I was leaving the first time)…Terry, Sully (and Mike, though we unfortunately missed that introduction). Wish I had my cell phone & your various #’s with me as after they left, blitzes started up again and lasted the early afternoon until 5 or so. Afterwards, there were still fish around, but the blitzes were truly wonderful.

On a sad aside, I encountered the following: a guy with 2 grandkids working their way along the shoreline. Kids would stop and play while he would take casts…we chatted at one point – perfectly nice guy. A few hours later, our paths crossed again in a small cove…busting fish occasionally showing. He hooked one, then proceeded to step on it to remove the hooks and then summarily kicked it in the direction of the water. The schoolie ended up quite a distance from the wash, so after watching it flop around, he apparently realized that it was never going to find enough water to swim, he walked down in his waders, and kicked it AGAIN! I hoped that this fish might have spined him, or perhaps he got sting by his own hooks as a result of a head shake…no such luck. The next fish received the same treatment.

So I walked over to him and asked if he would let me release the next fish he caught if he was unwilling to treat fish properly. His rejoinder was along the lines that didn’t I know that the hook hurt them? To which I replied that that there was no reason to ABUSE the fish!

The sad part for me was here was an otherwise likeable guy – taking his grandkids out for a wonderful adventure on the beach (did I mention that he would hook up and then let the kids reel the fish in…), and yet he was totally screwing up an ideal teaching opportunity.

What a pity….other than that considerable damper, the fishing was terrific! Blitzes, birds & bass (even managed nice blue) all day long. Hope to make it to the campfire next time around.

--jared

juro
10-24-2000, 01:41 PM
His name is likey to be Louis Beatini or Tom Meade http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

jared
10-24-2000, 01:45 PM
now i wasn't going to go there.....

Capt. Ruben Perez
10-25-2000, 02:44 PM
As far as I know, tom meade does not have kids, or grandkids. :)