Steelhead Fly of the week Deschutes Special [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week Deschutes Special

Charlie
01-26-2007, 01:58 PM
The inventor is Mike Kennedy, Mike has invented several other popular steelhead flies. This is on eof his few flies that is light in color.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tail: Red hackle barbs
Rib: Oval silver tinsel.
Body: Fluorescent green floss.
Collar: Gray/blue dun hen hackle.
Wing: Gray Squirrel.
Cheeks: Jungle cock.
Head: Fluorescent orange

Eric
01-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Once again, a beautiful reproduction of an obscure pattern.

Several years ago, I was fooling around with a hair-wing version of the Green Highlander, casting it here and there on the Deschutes. It caught fish with the best of them.

Green is good.

Thanks for finding the Deschutes Special; 'tis one of which I'd never heard.

Cheers,

Eric

flytyer
01-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Charlie,

This is one obscure pattern, as Eric already mentioned. I think I've only seen one example of it, and that one was in a glass covered plate of Kennedy's steelhead flies. Thanks for posting it, even if most have no idea it existed.

Feiger
02-03-2007, 01:00 PM
as one thinks...
John Shewey's new book, Steelhead Flies, lists it
Incidently, would highly recommend that book for those who are interested in the varying styles of west coast steelhead flies (minus the "seasame street flies" [bunny leeches, intruders, etc.]). It covers the tying techniques of a wide variety of styles, including hairwings, traditional speys and dees, shrimp patterns, etc. and a nice reference of some of the more popular, and relatively obscure, patterns out there... a nice refernce to add to the library...