Stillwater Trout Fishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Stillwater Trout Fishing

steelhead281
01-21-2007, 07:34 PM
I will fish for brook trout in northern Ontario this September. Fishing is confined to a lake that has only brookies. Main food is crawfish and scud. I am told the trout only hit during their major and minor feeding periods and can't be caught outside of those times. I'd like to start a discussion about successful techniques that I can use to have success throughout the day rather than just the limited feeding periods. If you have expertise to share about stillwater trout fishing, please respond

Colorado Cajun
01-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi,
I'm not familiar with fishing up there but I do trout fish in lakes. The setup that always does me well is a olive cone head woolly bugger (size 6 or 8) on a full sink line with a #16 olive scud tied on about 18 inches behind the woolly bugger. Base on what you said, I would go there with different color woolly buggers (OLIVE, black, and brown), and different color scuds (OLIVE, gray, and pink) Pink represents a dead scud. I would also vary in size on the wooly buggers. Bring from size 12 to a 6 or 4. A lot of times, when they aren't biting on the big stuff, throw something small. And of course, don't go without a handfull of crawfish patterns.

Mitch

steelhead281
01-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Mitch, your advice is helpful. I didn't realize that pink scud imitataed dead scud. Have you fished with LaFountaine Roll-over Scud? Would you think that the suggested small offering would trigger hits at times other than the major/minor feeds?

Colorado Cajun
01-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Light pink / pinkish gray on the dead scud. I've never tried that roll over scud you mentioned. I tie them all one way, the only thing I change is the color of the dubbing. One thing I found too that helps with tieing scuds is I tie it off with burnt orange thread right behind the eye of the hook. I use the burnt orange thread for the whole fly, right behind the eye is the only place you can see it. I seem to get more consistant hits with my scuds that way.
Another thing that I found that really helps with lake fishing is flash. I tie my woolly buggers with crystal chenille and crystal flash in the tail. My experience has been that a fly with flash will out fish a fly without flash. I have some of my flies here at work with me . I'll see if I can take and post some pictures.

Colorado Cajun
01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
The fly on the top is my all time lake favorite. You can't really see the chanille but it is olive and has some gold, silver, and a hint of blue in it. That fly rocks.

neastfly
01-29-2007, 07:15 AM
In addition to the flies mentioned, there are some great leech patterns out there. Those ponds up north are full of them. My buddy ties a killer leech, I'll try to snap a picture for you.

teflon_jones
01-30-2007, 01:24 AM
Here's my take on pond/lake fishing for trout.
1. Fishing stillwater that you don't know the depth of isn't very easy for trout. They tend to congregate in small areas at specific depths. I don't suppose you'll have a fish finder? I don't really use them in freshwater, but for this type of fishing they can really help a lot!
2. Use bead/cone head flies and a sink tip line.
3. Dead drift flies through the feeding zone.
4. Flies in order of preference: Buggers (black, olive, brown, with some sparkle), chironomids, leech patterns, and damsel fly patterns (my favorite is Whit's Damsel, see pic).