Shrimp [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shrimp

Slinger
01-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Submitted for your consideration...... from the edge of the Twilight Zone! Of course tied with DNA.
Slinger

Penguin
01-18-2007, 11:46 PM
TWO WORDS
DEEEE LECTABLE

Steve...Those are exceptionally nice!
And further confirm that not only did you corner the DNA and Varivas markets, you have become quite an artist as well...

Adrian
01-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Very nice ties Steve and what Penguin said too :smokin:

FishHawk
01-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Steve, as usual great looking ties. The orange ones will be killers in RI ,may give the GP some competition. FishHawk

Dble Haul
01-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Good stuff Steve. I'll take a dozen for my salt pond adventures in 2007. :)

jfbasser
01-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Hand a few over when I see you Sat....Fred A and I will give them a test trolling them from the cruise ship:roll:

juro
01-19-2007, 10:39 AM
As a side note, tarpon love shrimp flies. They were noticeably more aggressive to a large shrimp pattern I put in front of them this spring over other patterns, but that could also be a result of local preferences in the habitat I was fishing.

Great looking flies Slinger!

Slinger
01-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Thank you all very much for the compliments. These are a ridiculously easy tie, it`s the material that makes them look so good. Been using this fly for 25 yrs. (P.S.- pre synthetic ) they were made with plain bucktail and caught plenty. But my current train of thinking is that any pattern can benifit from DNA. The only problem with this bug is that the carapice tends to shred after a few fish, a coat of Hard Head will eliminate that problem or just tie on another, they cost about a quarter to make.
Slinger

juro
01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Oh good I'll take $5 worth! ;) ;)

bonefishmon
01-20-2007, 03:33 PM
I'll take a two dozen in orange and olive! Excellent work Steve. Got a bunch of fish on your DNA Chovies.
Caught a pretty big bass last Friday night before the cold front hit on a Orange GP in RI. Going to spend a lot more time swinging shrimp patterns this year. I've neglected them in the past except on the southern flats.

Phil

FishHawk
01-22-2007, 05:44 AM
What I would like to try if it's a bluebird day is throwing some shrimp on a 5wt with a floating line at some picky fish on the Flats. I think the 5wt would be the way to get these guys but it's always the wind that throws you a curve ball. I'm making a 8wt this season so that will be my secret weapon. It will be fun trying.
FishHawk

striblue
01-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Steve, been out of touch for a while but thats bueatiful work...John