Rhode Island Dam Project [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhode Island Dam Project

artb
01-18-2007, 07:21 AM
As some of you know, I am a flyfisher, saltwater over 60 years. I am now very disturbed. First any saltwater fisher knows that herring is a very important member of the food chain, and they are fast becoming exstinct, and Conservation of them is very important to the survival of sportfishing as well as the commercial fisheries. It seems the more I try to spread the word the worst off we seem to be. I am going to try and add to this post an answer back in 2005 to a concern that I sent to the State of RI DEM. To this day I have not got anywhere. I have sent it to the news media, and a couple of websites and have not seemed to get any interest in finding out what is happening. It isn't really any skin off of my behind cause I am 78 and how many more years am I going to be around. I ,for years lifted herring over the dam at Omega Pond, and I can say of all I have dipnetted there were placed over the dam, not one kept for bait fishing. Access there now is very limited as they are building condos closeby. Last year a few concerned sportsman had a key to access the dam at Omega Pond in Rumford ,RI. for the purpose to lift herring over the dam. The State was supose to have started building three fish ladders over three dams on the Ten Mile River, the first of which is at the Omega Pond dam. Here is an e-mail which I got from the DEM back on April 28, 2005. Looks like more money went into the General Fund of RI as to my knowledge nothing has been done. It doesn't appear to me that any of the sportsmen out there is interested. I guess I spent a lot of time for nothing.:mad: MR. BURTON THE FOLLOWING IS A RESPONSE FROM MY DEPUTY CHIEF JOHN O'BRIEN CONCERNING YOUR COMMENTS ON THE HERRING RUN AT OMEGA POND.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 1:51 PM
To: Michael Lapisky
Subject: Reply to Mr. Burton

We appreciate Mr. Burtons interest and concern about the river herring returning to Omega Pond and the planned construction of fish ladders on the Ten Mile River. From what I have determined, Omega Pond Dam is owned and controlled by the City of East Providence. It is my understanding that because of the clean up and restoration activities at the Ocean State Steel site adjacent to the dam, the City has closed the area to vehicular traffic. People are still allowed to walk down to the dam to net and lift the herring over. I have also been informed by the City that they have made keys available to volunteers so that they have the option to drive down to the spillway site to do this work. To the best of our knowledge herring are being lifted over the dam as in previous years.

The construction of three new fish ladders on the Ten Mile River is still on the schedule. Rhode Island State funding has been set aside in the Governor's Capitol Budget for FY2006 and FY2007 under the Ten Mile River Restoration Habitat project. This will be a match to Army CORPS (ACOE) 206 Habitat Restoration funding. The ACOE has just released, for public review, the "Ten Mile Detailed Project Report and Environmental Assessment Study". This is the feasibility study for restoring river herring to the Ten Mile. Upon review and approval the ACOE will begin the process of final designs and specifications. They are projecting that fishladder construction will begin in late 2006.

vtloon
01-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Having spent a lot of my youth in R.I., you have my sympathy dealing with any governmental body there. I used to fish the Palmer downstream from the bridge by the fish ladder; mostly for Shad, but here were also some Browns. I remember I had an H & I 7 1/2 ft for an HDH.

Do you know if there is still a Herring run into Brickyard Pond in Barrington? They used to come up a stream from the cove in Riverside. When thye were in the pond you could somtimes catch them on a #20 black midge.