Which pepper spray? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Which pepper spray?

black bear 84
01-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I will be fly fishing in areas where firearms are not permited, which is the best pepper spray for defense against bears?

MCorder
01-13-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm not an expert or anything....most of the guys up here (Kodiak Alaska) don't use any kind of spray (in fact I never have even felt the need to be armed). The smell of the spray is considered to be an attractant, anything new makes the currious.

Respect the bears territory, make lots of noise, if you see a bear stand tall and walk away...never run (there like dogs and will chaise for the fun of it).

FLGator
01-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Counter Assault is the brand I chose after my research.

FrenchCreek
01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
If you are coming to Canada, make sure you check with Fish & Wildlife et al because some jurisdictions do not allow Bear spray?

mugsy
01-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Fish Wildlife and Parks in Montana highly encourages carrying bear spray when in Grizzly country, as does the US Forest Service. Use of guns for protection is highly discouraged (dead bears slow down the delisting process, and wounded, pissed-off bears increase the dead hiker count). But as MCorder points out, avoiding contact in the first place is the best. Grizz in some areas of Montana equate a gun shot to a dinner bell, but I haven't heard any reports of them being drawn to the smell of bear spray.
As far as brand, I don't know that the specific brand is as important as the size and availability at time of need! From my understanding, you want a spray of at least 7 oz (the larger the better) with a capsaicin/capsaicinoid content of at least 2%. Mace is not the same thing - it won't work. None of them will do you any good if it is in your backpack when the time of need arises!! If it is, the grizz will be happy to help you find it!

If you decide to ignore MCorder's advice about trying to run from a bear, make sure you are with someone who is alot slower!

FishHawk
01-17-2007, 05:46 AM
I was in a van going to the Boseman Mt airport and we came upon a mother Grizzly and her cubs she false charged the van and gave a signal and off they went up the side of a steep hill.
My advise, steer clear of these critters you can't outrun them and they are nothing to fool with . Perhaps a guide is worth the price of security , they'll know how to handle the bears.
FishHawk

flier
03-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi, late post but a friens of mine had a situation one time, you may want to check the laws of the region you are going to when it comes to even carrying spray. Example here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you need to get a F.I.D card restricted for spray or mace. Gotta love it.

Also the Stand up and yelling thing with bears does work....It also does not work sometimes. :whoa: So feel free to arm yourself in whatever legal way you can.

Have fun.