So Who's Going to Marlboro... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: So Who's Going to Marlboro...

FredA
01-12-2007, 03:51 PM
...I'm not, I was but something came up.

Interesting that there's no show chatter on the various boards. Of course, the fishin boards are all pretty dead anyway. So whats the deal, nice weather have people busy doin other stuff? No shack nasties to spawn some fun, mudslingin threads?

jimS
01-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Fred, come on down to the Somerset Show, at the end of the month. It's a big show, and a lot of the guys on this forum will be there.

jfbasser
01-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Fred, you sound like you need a new Grandson to keep you busy:devil:

josko
01-12-2007, 05:05 PM
The list of exhibotors for the Marlboro show looked rather disappointing. Just doesn't seem worth it to me...

FredA
01-12-2007, 06:19 PM
It'd probably be a good time to go cast some rods. Basser,why don't you cast a few 8wgts for me and give me a report. T&T HII, Helix, Xit, the new scott rod. Common line, something fairly nuetral like a 444SL floater or intermediate. No overlining please.

jfbasser
01-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Fred, a certain fellow I know has an 8 wt Lamiglass rod that just came to him from the factory...a new series for this year...We will be going up to the show to evaluate it against some of the more common offerings...I will let you know how we make out. I will try out all the rods with an 8 wt pencil:smokin:

FishHawk
01-13-2007, 08:23 AM
I'll probably try going on Fri. of this year. The show doesn't look that great. Same speakers with worn out talks. I'm in the market for an 8wt will let you know how some of the rods cast . I was trying to get the Basser to get sick and join me but he would'n bite . :hihi: Something about work. :chuckle:
Next year I'm going to Somerset for sure. We should get a block of rooms for the Fourm and have a blast. Somerset Clave!!!!
FishHawk

jfbasser
01-13-2007, 08:52 AM
My latest problem is finding a decent reel for an 8 wt. I have blown up a Tioga on small fast movers, Abels & Tibors are a bit too heavy, Daniellsons have a reel foot that is much too stout and fat for some reel seats, the Ross's need a bubble bath after each use ...etc etc. ....the search goes on...my conventionals take a lickin and keep on tickin...

juro
01-13-2007, 09:06 AM
I have to admit the politics of the Marlboro show mgmt are enough to keep me away... stonewalling faithful perrenial exhibitors should be outlawed. What's flyfishing coming to when these kinds of antics play into it, sad really.

However I will be going to attend the FFF instructors meeting and some other business stuff. I'll take a pass through to say hello to friends in the various booths and have talked to a lot of Forum members who will be attending as well so it should be fun.

Things we've done in the past include breakfast before the show, dinner at the Longhorn after the show, but we won't have a booth because the full commercial price is several hundred dollars before other costs and that's just not in our shoestring budget.

I'll be easing into casting for the first time since surgery in the next few days so you probably won't see me up on the casting pool without a disguise of some sort, I expect my casting to be pretty bad until the hand recovers.

I look forward to seeing Simon Gawesworth at the Rio booth, love talking to Lou Tabory, the Becks, the Hassans, etc - lots of familiar faces.

As usual there's not a lot I "need" but should be able to find things I want.

Anyone interested in hooking up for dinner after the show?

Guernseybass
01-13-2007, 10:53 AM
i am going on saturday morning and although it looks like more destination outfitters than products will be on show, I am really looking forward to it a great deal.

it may be a lot of the same old for you guys, but i am buzzed about seeing Ed Mitchell and Alan Coalo 's presentations and Lour Taborys casting all in one day, add to that seeing the Becks' work and its a pretty special day out.

These guys just don't go to Europe too often, so it feels like a privilige to see them - and i bet the other UK guys will be dead jealous too.

If you want to say hello, i will be the english guy asking all the questions :)

Mark.

sean
01-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Juro I think I will go saturday just to watch you cast :) and dinner sounds good.

-sean

Adrian
01-13-2007, 01:06 PM
I have a sales conference in Orlando that week-end but I might make Somerset this year....

Smcdermott
01-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Patrice and I will be going on Saturday as well. I do wish it was a bigger show like NJ but its tough to make a 4+ hour drive each way to go down there with no chance of actually catching a fish! Not sure about dinner but look forward to seeing those who make it.

Sean

phlyphyshr
01-13-2007, 11:08 PM
When complaining about the list of exhibitors and shops at the show, please keep in mind the cause.

The cost of a 10' booth is now $800-$1100.00! Paying the salaries of 2-3 people to man the booth for 4 days (set-up is the day before) $800-$1200. Hotel rooms for participants $300 - $500. Travel expenses, meals, etc etc.

Long and the short, easily $2500-$3000 just for a 10' booth. That means, just to break even that shop has to sell, at FULL RETAIL, $6500-$7500 at the show or directly attributable to the show in the the following weeks, just to BREAK EVEN!

Now think about your purchases, how much buying do you intend to do at the show?
Are you looking for bargains? Are you just going there to try out that new rod, then order it over the internet from someone who has just a website and no overhead just to save $5 - $10??!!

Go to the show, give your local shop your business, support our local shop. Your laptop will not watch you and tell you what you are doing wrong with your cast!

teflon_jones
01-13-2007, 11:34 PM
I have to admit the politics of the Marlboro show mgmt are enough to keep me away... stonewalling faithful perrenial exhibitors should be outlawed. What's flyfishing coming to when these kinds of antics play into it, sad really.
I don't suppose anyone would care to shed some light on these politics? A PM would be fine if nobody wants to post on the board, but I've been going to this show for at least a few years now and have really enjoyed it. I'm disappointed to hear that folks feel like it won't be up to snuff. :(

FredA
01-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Ah, I thought the show was this weekend.:confused: Oh well, maybe I can make it next weekend.

Sean Juan
01-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Wifey and I will be going on Saturday.

The only thing I'm really thinking of buying is a new reel for my two-handed Orion - of course after today's ass-bruising adventure I'm beginning to think the two handed evolution may have finally made a Neanderthal out of me.

I've been going to these shows for years and I'm shamed to say I never once thought of the politics or the business end of it. It does seem like they are less fun than they used to be, I remember as a kid they had more casting contests, a wrestling bear, and actual casting pools (that occasionally people would be thrown into) at some of these shows.

Slinger
01-14-2007, 03:46 PM
It`s just not worth it. Same old, same old. Never changes. The only reason for attending would be to catch up with old friends.
Slinger

juro
01-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Politics:

A faithful annual exhibitor is stonewalled from the show by a competitor's persuasion. Such management has no business representing the flyfishing community IMHO.

Penguin
01-15-2007, 05:41 PM
After going over the stale guest speaker list and booth roster, I was suddenly overwhelmed with a sense of "de ja vous"...:eek:
More like "vous ja de"...'been there before/don't want to go back! :roll:
I think I shall spend the $14 entry fee on some Sam Adams and a Pizza...
Then take the Girlz for a walk on the beach... :cool:
Quel est le chemin pour la plage?

Holdin' out for Wilmington... :Eyecrazy:
I know I know...mal chiste' (bad joke)
Looks like a Bear's Den & S\\'E show season for me!

juro
01-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I love seeing the regular gang at the shows to tell the truth. I appreciate the presenters and exhibitors despite the antics of the mgmt and a few bad apples.

Good thing the Pats game is at 6:30 or they'd have another Sunday ghost town situation!