Steelhead Fly of the week Surgeon General [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week Surgeon General

Charlie
01-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Im not sure who invented this fly. One story says it was invented by a doctor, another says it was named after a surgeon. Either way it is an extremely popular pattern in both the Pacific Northwest and the great lakes.

Another almost identical pattern is the Del Cooper invented by Mike Kennedy of Oregon. Kennedy ties his with a wool body and a flat silver tag. This fly is especially popular on the Willamette River.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tail: Red hackle fibers.
Rib: Oval silver tinsel.
Body: Purple chenille.
Hackle: Red hackle.
Wing: White Hair.
Head: Black

Eric
01-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi, Charlie,

Can't beat the old standards.

Popular on the Willamette River? This is really a new one on me. What references are there on this? I'm really curious.

Thanks for referencing the Del Cooper. The Surgeon General/Del Cooper are standards in the Deschutes fly box and both flies (if one can really discern the difference) are very effective in the period between when the shadows leave the water until the fish quit hitting (usually early afternoon).

Cheers,

Eric

flytyer
01-13-2007, 12:49 AM
I also thank you for referencing the Del Cooper. This fly is very effective on Washington's Upper Columbia tributaries in the exact time frame Eric mentioned for Oregon's Deschutes. I prefer mine with a dubbed body and 2-4 strands of pearl Kystal Flash under the wing; but the chenile and wool bodied ones have equal effectiveness.

Charlie
01-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Eric,

A friend that lived out west for a time told me they were Popular on the Willamette River. Thanks for the good tips on fishing it.

And thanks Russ for the tying variations.

Charlie.