Steelhead Fly of the week Black Diamond [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week Black Diamond

Charlie
01-04-2007, 02:11 PM
The Originator of this fly, Harry Lemire of Black Diamond, Washington, created it in 1973. You can probably guess were the name came from. He fishes it with a greased line presentation in the summer and fall mostly in shallow tailouts and other low water situations.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Flat silver tinsel.
Rib: Flat silver tinsel.
Body: Black seal dubbing or substitute.
Hackle: Guinea hen tied in as a beard.
Under wing: Peacock sword fibers
Wing: Mixed gray squirrel and guinea fibers.
Cheeks: Jungle cock.
Head: Black.

juro
01-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I lived just down the road for many years. I've done well with this fly in the river that flows through Black Diamond and others and admired Lemire's perspectives.

Charlie, great tribute and yet another beautiful tie.

flytyer
01-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Charlie,

As usual, very nicely tied.

Harry no longer lives in Black Diamond though. In fact, he hasn't lived in Black Diamond for about 5 years. He moved to Mill Creek, WA after retiring from Boeing, which put him much closer to the Puget Sound "S" rivers and a good hour closer to the Thompson. Also, he now ties the BLACK DIAMOND with the guinea wrapped as a collar, which he ties in after the peacock sword underwing, but before the squirrel tail wing is tied in.

And as Juro has already mentioned, this is a very good dark fly for summer/early fall evening fishing fished greased line style.

juro
01-05-2007, 07:03 AM
I usually tied my renditions of this fly "low water" style and collared the guinea for ease, not knowing that's how Harry does it.

I was at the lazy 'B' for 8 of 12 yrs and moved back east 11 yrs ago. In many ways I would have rather ended up closer to the 'S' rivers too ;)

Salar-1
01-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Nice tye Charlie !
I also tied em up as Juro does ,in size 6,8 and 10. I've caught fish on the #8's This fly along with Lemire's Golden Edge Yellow(however body changed to Charteuse) is a decent fly on Quebec's N. Shore,Matane and Patapedia Rivers.
I too am an ex Wa. resident-Eastgate and Muckilteo .
Cheers