Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Hairy Mary [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Hairy Mary

Charlie
12-29-2006, 01:22 PM
This is a very popular British hair wing fly and is very similar to the Blue Charm. It was invented by Inverness, Scotland’s John Reidpath around the early 1960’s.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook
Tag: Gold tinsel
Tail: Golden Pheasant crest
Body: Black floss
Rib: Oval gold tinsel
Throat: Blue Hackle
Wing: Red Squirrel tail
Head: Black

Charlie.

SALMONCHASER
12-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Charlie,, is it the lighting or is that dyed yellow squirrel?
Partridge double?
Salmon Chaser

G Ritchie
12-29-2006, 08:03 PM
It is usually tied with a hairwing of natural red squirrel (a reddish brown colour) in the smaller sizes, or with a wing of brown bucktail (the natural brown hair found on the back of an undyed bucktail) on larger hooks or tubes.

Jerome F Molloy
12-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi Charlie n Folks
Here is a variation of the Hairy Mary that I came up with for a trip to the Margaree
back in 96.I thought the black wing would be good and was rewarded well.It has since been a must have for all rivers I travel on.
A very Happy New Year and Happy Fishing.
Jerome Molloy
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=338386533&size=o

SALMONCHASER
12-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Very nice Jerome!!!
Nice to see you on the board and i look forward to seeing you in Dieppe again in April,,, got a new book for you to sign:wink:
Happy New Year.
Dwayne Miller
aka Salmon Chaser

Charlie
01-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Dwayne,

As Graham states it should be natural red squirrel tail. I think with mine it is partially the lighting and the tail I used seems to be a very light colored red squirrel.

Jerome,

Very nice fly as usual. Thanks for sharing it with us. I will have to make up a few of these for the coming season.

Charlie.