VT in March [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: VT in March

newb
12-26-2006, 12:53 PM
I'll be in VT in early March. Any suggestions on rivers or pools I may want to check out? I'll be way up north but the plan is to take my time coming back to Boston so if there are any rivers between Boston and Montreal that you think would be worth a look in early march let me know.

thanks

John Desjardins
12-26-2006, 06:57 PM
I think that you may be limited in your choices then. If the weather becomes appropriate fof the season there will not be much open water. Also I believe the opening day for VT is April 1. There may be some all year waters; but I'm not able to say where.

teflon_jones
12-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Like John said, it really depends on the weather. If the "winter" stays like this, then you should be fine to fish any number of rivers in March.

As for opening day, as far as I know in VT there's no law against fishing in the off season. You just can't keep anything.

FishHawk
12-27-2006, 05:35 AM
Get yourself to Conn. and fish the Farmington River it is one of the best year round streams in NE. It's about 2 hr drive from Boston. The Swift in Belchertown , MA would be another choice. FishHawk

titleguy
12-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Opening Day in Vermont is the second Saturday in April. There are several waters which are open year round, primarily Lake Champlain and CT River tribs. You;d be better off to go ski Bear Mountain in the sun in early March. The White River from the Route 107 Bridge to the CT is open year 'round, C&R from November 1 through 2nd Sat. in April. Otter Creek in the western part of the State is open in spots, but tough to fish. Lewis Creek In Ferrisburgh is open from the mill falls down to Champlain and has a small steelhead run, depending on weather there may be fish around ( off US Route between Burlington and Middlebury). The Battenkill, just over the NY line is open year 'round, FFO, C&R and may be fishable, but early March is usually real winter- generally the snowiest time of year. Good time to jig for smelt on the Lake.:lildevl:

millerbrown
12-28-2006, 09:19 AM
The Willowhby, Black and Clyde Rivers may be worth looking into. Good rainbow and landlock runs are found there. You may be there before "Opening Day" so check that out first.

Millerbrown