amazon peacock bass report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: amazon peacock bass report

nmbrowncom
12-24-2006, 07:24 PM
i just got back from fishing the itarpera river in the amazon for peacock bass. the weather was terrific, but very hot. why not-it's directly on the equator. more importantly, the fishing was outstanding although the water was a little high for optimal fly fishing but dropping fast. our group of eight anglers which included 2 fly fishermen cought 1207 peacock bass, with 65 over 10 lbs and 2 over 20 lbs. casting is to the edges of the mangroves where the peacock immediately run to when hooked. these fish hit like a freight train comming down a mountain. maximum pressure is required to keep them from wrapping- no running room, none. i broke 40 lb leader on a 14 lb fish as predicted by my guide. 80lb leader held them. while i suffered no equipment failures, the other fly fisherman broke 2 rods on particularly defiant peacocks. in addition to the peacocks i cought about a dozen pirahna and 2 cayman! most of the peacocks were cought on very long streamers (10-12 inches) with tandem hooks so that short strikes were avoided. it was brutal casting. i eventually cut off the second hook and reduced the fly to 8-10 inches. still tough but much better. while i started with an intermediate sink tip and even played with a 375 grain sink tip, i was most comfortable with a floating line with a 4-5 ft leader since the large fly sank pretty readily and the "deep" water was little more than 10 feet and usually around 3-5 feet. as soon as my son gets home i'll post some pics. a great trip over all.

juro
12-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Sounds like a RIDICULOUS trip! Can't wait to see the pics... a trip I need to do one of these days for sure.

Dble Haul
12-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Outrageous action......how do you keep such accurate counts of the fish that are caught? Clickers? I usually lose track and/or stop counting after a dozen fish, regardless of what I'm fishing for.

teflon_jones
12-26-2006, 09:31 PM
1207 fish? Are you sure it wasn't 1206 or 1208? ;)

Sounds like a awesome trip!!! Can't wait to see some pics.

P.S. Capitals and paragraphs are your friends... ;)

flyjkol
12-27-2006, 12:45 AM
and 2 cayman
hmmmmm.....
That scares me a bit :Eyecrazy:

Sounds like it was an excellnt trip!

Dble Haul
12-27-2006, 08:17 AM
P.S. Capitals and paragraphs are your friends... ;)

So says the guy with perfect writing skills....:roll: ;)

jfbasser
12-27-2006, 11:41 AM
in addition to the peacocks i cought about a dozen pirahna and 2 cayman! .

woe is me

piranha bit mydigit that

does the shift key

e. e cummings

Quentin
12-27-2006, 06:37 PM
woe is me

piranha bit mydigit that

does the shift key

e. e cummings

:hihi:

Q

teflon_jones
12-28-2006, 07:45 AM
So says the guy with perfect writing skills....:roll: ;)
Well I sure am glad somebody noticed me good writin' skills. ;)

Dble Haul
12-28-2006, 08:01 AM
You bet. :cool: