Steelhead Fly of the week – Signal Light [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week – Signal Light

Charlie
12-11-2006, 07:12 AM
This fly is another one from series of flies invented by Randall Kaufmann of Portland, Oregon. Kaufmann is the owner of Kaufmann’s Streamborn, a very well know fly shop in Portland. This fly is considered by many to be the most popular in the series. It was named after a railroad signal light on the Deschutes river

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tail: Purple hackle barbs.
Rib: Oval silver tinsel
Body: ¼ Fluorescent orange yarn, ¼ Fluorescent yellow yarn, ½ black chenille.
Collar: Purple hackle.
Wing: Purple, blue and lime crystal flash and black marabou.
Head: Black

flytyer
12-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Charlie,

Randall Kaufmann was one of the first to use a marabou wing with some Krystal Flash under (or at times inside) as a substitute (or instead of if you insist) for a hair wing. Don't know if you know this or not; but he tied the SIGNAL LIGHT originally with a calftail wing. Tied really big (#1/0 & #2/0) it is a pretty good winter steelhead fly.

By the way, I prefer it tied with fl. flame orange and fl. yellow/chartreuse (a light fl greenish-yellow) yarn on the rear body segments. I also like to tie it with a 2 segment marabou wing on these large sizes. I do this by tying in the Krystal Flash, the first marabou feather tip, the hackle, and then finish with the second marabou feather tip.

Charlie
12-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks Russ,

I wanted to tie some of these on big tubes for the winter. I think your advise on tying them will work out good on the tubes. Especially the 2 segment wing idea.

Charlie

Igor
12-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Charlie,

If you have an interest in tying the 'Signal Light' on a tube, check out the Winter 2006 edition of "Northwest Flyfishing".

Igor