Quick Question! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Quick Question!

zmeservey
12-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Hi all, I began fly fishing about a year ago, and dont know a whole lot about it. However I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do a research project on it for a final grade in my college english composition class, a good chance for me to learn more about it. So i'm asking if anyone has a moment: What is, in your opinion, the most important safety factor of fly fishing? If anyone has any input, that would be wonderful, and a huge help!
Thanks!! Zack, ME

titleguy
12-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Zack-

1. Coming to the CCA organizational meeting at the Sea Dog in Bangor next Thursday at 6:00 PM- River Driver Room.:D

2. Stay in school as long as you can, you get to fish more.

3. Fish more.

4. Go to the West Branch, GLS and the East Outlet as often as possible.

5. Stay in school so you can fish more.

See you Thursday in Bangor ( I hope):D

Seriously, understand your limitations when wading, and learn how to read the water. Always wear some sort of eye protection- always.

Guernseybass
12-08-2006, 02:36 PM
the most important safety factor has to be that you need to recognise that you may be near deep and/or moving water which is a Danger.

you should not go anywhere near water unless you can swim.

even then you should always let someone know where you are going and roughly what time you will be back.

for flyfishing itself I would say the main factors are :

1. eye protection
2. avoiding power lines.
3. avoiding thunderstorms.

you may wish to add flattening the barb of the fly hooks - which helps removing hooks from yourself, your clothing and the fish.

It also important to respect your environment and keep wildlife safe - don't leave behind mono/fluoro line, plastic bags, lead shot or hooks, that wildlife can ingest or become tangled in.

I hope that helps your report and good luck with your fishing.

Mark.

Paxton
12-08-2006, 03:03 PM
A simple answer from me....use common sense.....if there is risk involved to get to a fish or location...the fish wins...value your life over getting fish and live to fish another day. Or in other words with regards to safety....if you have to think about it...don't do it!
Ron

FishHawk
12-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Respect Mother Nature. She wins all the time. If your fishing in the ocean and the tide is coming in fast don't stay to make one more cast when it could mean your life. Things happen very fast and no amount of preparation can train you for that. As Ron says use common sense. FishHawk