Inexpensive two-handed overhead rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Inexpensive two-handed overhead rod

pescatore
12-05-2006, 03:10 PM
One of the big internet outlet sites has the old style Red.Fly two-handed rods on sale for short money. Would this rod in a 14' 9-weight configuration be satisfactory for fishing the beach with an intermediate line? Just want to explore the two-handed style, don't want to blow too much cash initially.

juro
12-06-2006, 06:35 AM
14ft is long for strip retrieving intermediate lines in surf. Do a search and you will find reams of discussion on this. more later need to run

neastfly
12-06-2006, 08:31 AM
As you search the forum, you are bound to come across the mention of the TFO 1212. Like yourself, I was looking for a less expensive model last year and decided to go with the 1212. Though I would still consider myself an "emerging" two-hand caster, I have enjoyed fishing with the rod immensely.

juro
12-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Like I often say, spin guys use a sluggo rod and a surf rod for each situation. Most fly guys live with a sluggo size rod no matter the situation, oddly. The 'short' overhead two hander I advocate, traditional Spey (as Sean, Adrian and others practice) and newer Skagit style fishing adds important dimensions to striper angling that we are only just beginning to expliot.

Welcome to the revolution.

(however 14 ft is only suitable to spey fishing slice of the big pie)

pescatore
12-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks. Embarassed that I didn't do a decent search first, there is a ton of great discussion on the topic here. 11' 9/10 seems the consensus. Located a new but deeply discounted Atlantis at a CT fly shop, might make the drive this weekend. Doesn't hurt that the rod designer is our forum host!

PopnesetBay
12-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Please check your PM's

Thanks
Pete Readel