New Zealand Trout [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New Zealand Trout

A2theO
12-05-2006, 12:24 AM
I am traveling to New Zealand and will be there from the end of January until the begining of July. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or stories that might help in my adventures. I want to spend all of February backpacking the south island. Any info that you have would be awesome.

Thanks alot,

Aaron O'Leary

teflon_jones
12-05-2006, 10:26 AM
My friend just got back from a week there, of which he spent 3 days fishing. He said it was the best trout fishing he's ever done. I've attached a pic of one of the fish he landed. Typical size was about 3 pounds. This fish was the third biggest he caught at 5 lbs.

He said it was all nymphing and that it was too early in the season for dries.

kiwi-kid
12-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi Aaron,

Summertime fishing in January - February, I'm sure you will have a great time.

What pushes your buttons?

Do you like big or small rivers, lake fishing?

Check Out [commercial link removed]
for the Turangi area fishing reports.

An eight weight rod is probably the most suitable here.

There are lots of small rivers, streams that will fish well, with smaller gear if that is your bag.

Let me know

Ian

Gaspe Salmon
12-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Aaron,

Cannot give you any advice about the South Island, but if you hit the North Island head towards Taupo and set yourself up there. It is an awesome town with incredible fishing just about everywhere. Lots of great people who will help you and point you in the right direction. Depending on your budget, you can fish on your own or do it up in a helicopter! Did that one day and it was worth it! Caught some incredible trout in small rivers and creeks as well as in the BIG O lake! check it out!

If you can find Chris Brennan, he is an awesome guide. When I went, he was working for Chris Jolly outdoors but I am not sure if he is still there.

Best,

David