Winter activities [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winter activities

Warren
12-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Now that most of us in the Northern part of the world have put up our fishing gear for the winter. What does everyone do to pass the time away while waiting for the spring do besides tie flies, clean up the gear and catch up on all the stuff wifey thinks we should have done while fishing?

I like to read a book or two fly fishing and go visit stores or shows to browse around.

juro
12-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Tropics.

And a bunch of filler activities around tropical trips, like shows and tying which help pass the frigid season.

Dble Haul
12-05-2006, 09:19 AM
I stay active in my local flyfishing club by attending meetings and seminars, and by helping out with the tying and fishing classes. It doesn't seem like much at first, but when you're going to at least one meeting or class per week the time flies by a bit quicker.

teflon_jones
12-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Tying flies, attending shows, and fishing. :) You can fish in some rivers around here all year round.

Sean Juan
12-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Sometimes I talk to that woman who lives in my house...

jfbasser
12-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Work more to save up vacation time for the fishing season.

Paxton
12-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Warren....I wish that off season included tropical trips, but I use the off season to earn fishing $ by teaching 2 grad school courses at a local college. Of course I tie flies and pretend that I have come up with something new that will be the magic fly...also do my winter hobby of woodworking and create huge amounts of sawdust that causes some marital discord ..."if it's not feathers, then it's sawdust!!!!" :-) At least she knows where I am (and have been). :-)
Other than that, I walk from window to window, looking out and saying foul words that winter is too long. But I guess that is why I appreciate every second of "in season" :-)
Ron

FredA
12-05-2006, 08:25 PM
I drink coffee and beer and ponder the honeydo list.

Manitou
12-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Well me it looks like i will be shoveling full time we already have 2 feet of snow and its still falling

If the snow stops I will certainly tie some flies I hope anyway

Jocelin

bonefishmon
12-06-2006, 05:29 AM
I have my hands full just keeping the house warm. Firewood, firewood.......firewood. Eat.....sleep......work. If I have any energy left I'll head up to the Farmington with my son every other week or so. Our local club does not have weekly tying classes. Wish they did and am trying to get something started soon.

Phil

Jeff Sod
12-07-2006, 06:38 PM
We look for good quality ice so we can do this and the winter flies by. Local club is the New England Ice Yacht Association. There is usually sailable ice most weekends somewhere in New England during winter.