Planning a Trip to South America But Need Advice... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Planning a Trip to South America But Need Advice...

Cabra Verde
11-29-2006, 09:17 AM
To those lucky fly fishermen that have been to South America… I am trying to plan a trip with some mates during winter ‘08 and we are looking into Argentina, Chile, or Peru as we have heard nothing but great things about the rivers coming out off the Andes and also several of us speak Spanish fluently…

We are in very primitive planning stages but would like to dig up as much as possible so that we can put the bar talk into action.

I have been told about San Martin de los Andes and Esquel as being the principal regions of Argentina but nothing beyond names and generalities. I would also like to explore more options in Chile as here too I have read great things but am not familiar with locations. Peru is a mystery, total blank but I assume the cold mountain streams have something to offer…

I assume the 3-4 of us will jump in a rental and explore streams / rivers with and without guides but we would like to figure out the most rewarding and effective way of doing this. We would also like to mix fishing with culture so that our trips are most memorable.

Financially we are conscious but not limited, and if camping or hiking into more remote sections would prove fruitful this would of course be interesting as well...
Presumably a 10-12 day trip would be the idea, and beyond that lies the question mark…

Has anyone done a similar trip and could you recommend places, guides, websites, books… also negative experiences… and of course if you have any pictures please send as well.

Tight lines… TE