Leader straightener [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Leader straightener

augie1010
11-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Hi: Just purchased a leader straightener from Cabelas. Tried it and it did nothing. Do these things really work, or is there a better way to take the coils out of a leader. Mostly 7.5', 3# and 4 # leaders, 5x and 6x.

Thanks
David

flyjkol
11-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Personally I'd say the best way to straighten a leader is by giving it a good stretch, if the situation seems bad enough I use my shoes as a leader straightener.... Simply by stretching the line as you work the leader across your soles.

I've never used comercial straighteners myself, but the general cocensus I've heard is that they have a bad tendency to friction burn leaders upon straightening them....

FishHawk
11-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Take a old bicycle inner tube and cut off a little patch of rubber. Run you leader through it , presto straight leader . Works all the time. FishHawk

jhicks
11-30-2006, 06:09 AM
I use my hands. Works for me. Now for lines I hook the nail knot under my front tire and walk out the fly line from the reel stretch it for about two minutes and then let the fly line go slack. Reel it in and you are ready to go. Under no circumstances would I reel the line in with tention. This will make for coils in the line.

Skilly
11-30-2006, 09:58 AM
10 pound Steelhead straightens um every time.

juro
11-30-2006, 10:52 AM
i like skillys method, however when unavailable the hands do it for me too

you can tell because it gets hot as hell when you pull thru - the combined heat and tension works very well

just the right speed and no line burns, repeat passes OK

griz
12-05-2006, 01:51 PM
just buy an orvis braided leader and skip the whole headache.

Been using one for 10 years,I'll never go back.

Trucha
12-09-2006, 08:30 AM
I second a small patch of bike inner tube. Works great.

Sjo Crapels
01-26-2007, 01:34 PM
The Cabelas thing will work if you pull your coiled leader through it under tension. The friction will take the coils out, graranteed!! The thicker the leader the more tension should be applied.
Sjo

FlyMan
01-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Agreed! They do work but, like many things, technique does matter.

You need to squeeze the leader tightly and pull it through slowly. This generates the heat necessary for it to straighten. Multiple passes will frequently help.