Fly Fishing Forum banner

IT"S OVER Southway has closed off.

7K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  Stevo 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Was getting my coffee in Chatham this am after work and ran into one of the Assistant Harbor Masters, he told me that South Beach had finally attached to South Monomoy and there is only a little water at very hightide all other times it is driveable, in the truck that is. It was close when I was out a few weeks ago (OCT 31) with Mike Brady, but the new sand was to unstable to walk on to cross over. I tried but sank up to my knees in a flash in the 50/50 mix of sand and water.

I am hoping to get some photos and or get out on Wed with Mike Brady and the crew. I have some photos from a few weeks ago, but couldn't get them to post on the forum. I'll send them to Juro and see if he can get them to shrink down.
My computer is on its last leg and isn't letting me do to many things

What shocked me most last trip was how thick the end had become. The tip over the summer is nothing but a little finger of this giant sand pile. The tip grew to the south width wise and covered up the B buoy on the outside. There is also a sand bar just off the SouthEast of the tip that was holding about 2 inches of water and ran from SB to SM, so the surf hit that before entering the little channel that was left. So that means there was no wave action trying to keep it open back then. There was also some piles of sand about 3-4 feet high in the middle of the small channel then. Last weekends NorEaster was long lasting with gusts up to 65 and sustained as much as 40 out of the NE.

I will let you know as soon as I know more.

Capt Keith

PS Happy Holidays to everyone.

See less See more
#2 ·
Keith, Thanks for the update...but it is sad news. Hopefully it will break through somewhere else and we are not stuck next season with South beach warm water marsh :) If it stays the same...our only option to get tocold/ moving water will be the need for a SM drop off.
Ron

#3 ·
Keith -

You can either mail a CD to PO Box 58 Groton MA 01450 or email me, but I will send a different email that can take big files.

thanks looking forward to seeing them.

Ron,

spring trappage should be at an all time high although summer is going to be very differnt indeed

#5 ·
Thanks for the update Keith.

This raises all kinds of issues for the SM refuge. The land bridge will make it all the more accessible to Coyotes, Foxes, Ferral cats etc.

In terms of the fishing, spring & early summer could be interesting. This year in late July I recorded a water temp. of 75F inside and there were still fish holding over the eelgrass beds. You just never know how nature will respond. Maybe the inside will become a major shrimp factory and attract Squeteague up from futher South? Just don't try lipping them if they do :lildevl:

The new structure outside the tip of SB sounds interesting too....

There's still a lot of 'winter' left so its going to be interesting to see how this shapes up between now and May.

#6 ·
It's confirmed got photos today

Just got the photos from the USCG and there is a substantial land bridge between the two now, dry around the clock it looks now. Photos were taken by USCG helo over the weekend.

Ron, your right and I have begun working out a plan for South Tip shuttle services for you guys, just waiting to get things settled on the Privateer before I can make another boat move. I have a couple picked out just got to get in the position to make a move on one.

Adrian is right, still a whole winter to go. The Chatham Break had some major changes during last weeks storm also. The Cape like arm that was growing off the north end of South Beach is only about 6ft away from completing the loop around and attaching back to the beach and creating another pond in the middle of the beach, like the previous one. I also saw the Harbor master boat out today trying to move the buoys in the surf line to adjust for the sand movements over the past 7-9 days. It was really amazing to watch the changes in just 24 hours during last weekends Nor Easter, as I was able to get to the over look both mornings same time of the tide.

Look for the article on the Cape Cod Chronicle webpage after Wed.

Capt Keith

#7 ·
Juro, I agree...Spring will be fine but by late June????? Wonder if the "land bridge" that was beginning to form from J buoy towards Monomoy has expanded as well with this past storm...although I think that that "bridge" was primarily formed when the dunes near "L" were breached. Maybe we should just stay at Stage harbor inlet (point) and net them as they go by :) Adrian's hypothesis re breeding grounds for shrimp etc, might happen...certainly the grasses will flourish next year if there is no significant change in flow. Always interesting!
Ron

#8 ·
This could be a blessing in disguise. Now we'll be able to access the whole of Monomoy on foot . However, it's all about the nesting of the birds which will limit access . Time will tell if this is a good thing or not. Looks like I'll take a mid-winter walk and check it out . FishHawk

#9 ·
Land bridge

Cap'n

Thanks for the update. What next? Piping plovers deciding to nest on the land bridge? Then the whole area will be off limits......In my mind it's really too early to start wondering what if, by spring it could all be gone. Keep the updates coming.

Happy holidays to you and The Admiral.

See you next year

#10 ·
While we can prognosticate the results of the closure for 2007, my hat's off to Keith for forecasting this two years ago.

If the terrain remains constant thru next spring, I can think of a couple of scenarios that could make this a dynamite fishery. On the turn, the currents from the sound side should increase significantly.

So, with the southway closure, who has jurisdiction on SB, Chatham or Monomoy Wildlife Refuge? Would it make a difference to the wade fisherman?

The Chatham Cut is also intriguing. This past year the fishery was marginal at best. The days when Juro, Striblue, et al fished the Big Girl may resurface as the sands continue their southward migration.

Spring 2007 should be interesting on the elbow of the Cape.

#11 ·
Chatham is more than just a comfort zone as some would suggest... it's not just a simple angling obsession either. It's a lot like my life - a relentless turmoil bringing change that is foreign but stranglely familiar; yesterdays treasures churning away forever with the tide while the promise of tomorrow rises like a red sun over a flat calm sea.

Keith I need a place in Chatham this spring-fall so if you come across any good places I would be obliged.

#14 ·
Great idea Chris....may I suggest a Death March Clave with Flydoc as the meister...I do believe that this anticipated march would certainly qualify as a "stress test"...maybe we can check our HMO's and Doc can even get reimbursement for his efforts :) I've been telling Keith to add to his income by having an EKG at the top of his 67 stairs....but if he's not going to take advantage of the opportunity, then someone else should. :smokin:
Ron

#17 ·
Ahhhh,#*? 22 miles, NE wind at 20 knots for the 11 mile walk back to the light! How about to the new land bridge and back. Looking forward to seeing you and Donna soon.

I think Adrian may be right about a new warm water fishery. Over years if the inside fills in it may become the perfect flats to pole a flats boat for Squeteague.
Does anyone have any history of what the inside was like many years ago when Monomy was connected? I thought that part of the cape did have a good August and September Squeteague fishery many years ago.

It's cold here in the NW with snow, wind and ice just like you NEer's will have soon.

OC

#19 ·
The control question came up a couple of years back during one of the CCP Process meetings (see the "stickies" at the top of this forum).

Whilst separated, The Cape Cod national Seashore (and South Beach) came under the jurisdiction of the National Parks Service whilst the Monomy refuge came under jurisdiction of Fish & Wildlife Service.

Officials at the meeting made clear that even though both organizations come under the Deprtment of the Interior, only one could have jurisdiction over a particular area once they became joined.

My guess would be that National Parks and F&W will decide on an arbitrary demarcation point on the land bridge and manage their territories as before. I would be surprised if pedestrian access to SM was permitted during the "season" since at those times certain sections of the beach are totally closed(in these areas the signs clearly state "Beach Closed - No Boat Landing"). These areas are highlighted on the F&W access map. We'll have to wait and see.

#20 ·
Usually I bite my tongue and say nothing, but I couldn`t let this go. Are you people crazy? You have no idea how far your talking. It`s like going from the light to the end of south beach and back again and you still won`t be to the tip! Being that the board has a lot of younger and better shape members, I`m sure that some will try and succeed. Most of us would be getting picked up off the beach by the CG, with chest pains. This isn`t somthing that should be undertaken lightly!
I knew it the second I saw the first post about the beach joining up. You could see people get that look, like Lawrance of Arabia heading to .... wherever. Why, the meer thought has Juro getting all emotional!
Slinger

#22 ·
Steve, its good to know someone has a bit of common sense:hihi:

I was going to suggest an "Iron Man" style cardio flyfishing clave where shorts, trainers and hydropacks are substituted for waders.

The beach is to be worked "at a jog". Stopping as the opportunity arises to cast to migrating fish. Time bonuses for fish caught/released. :smokin: Otherwise you just lose time so you need to pick your shots carefully. Travelling 'light' would also be a good idea :wink:

Come on guys, 22 miles isn't even a full Marathon! The Iron Man triathletes do it after an 8 mile swim and 100 mile bike ride :lildevl:

We could invite Jillian Michaels .... :smokin:

#23 ·
I did the google earth measure/path thing, with a realistic path (not as the crow flies)and came up with 10.56 miles from the stairs at the light to Monomoy point. A mere 4 or 5 hour power walk with breaks for a pull on a bottle of single malt and a smoke.:smokin: :wink:

The Cape Cod Chronicle website has an article, as Keith said there would be, with a couple of pics.

#24 ·
Good for you Fred we won't let young guys like Slinger put a downer on a power walk of great interest. Beside we can say we did it long before the summer runs shows up next May. Who else wants to do it right after Christmas? I know Juro will he never lets a challenge go to waste!

#25 ·
I'll do it! Can't be any harder than a day of running for gamblers cars at work which I do five days a week. Going to have to pick the day though.. in short notice. We should arrange for a boat on standby for everyone's safety.

Phil

#26 ·
CC Chronical article is very interesting...a good read, I highly recommend it....thanks Keith!
Walk...drink...smoke...chest pains....sounds like a good rythem to me :) OC....dependent on the schedule of events for Christmas week...I just may give it a go.....I can do all of the above activities :) Will write if I am coming down.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.