Need help choosing waders for my husband... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Need help choosing waders for my husband...

FlyFishersWife
11-24-2006, 04:24 PM
I would like to buy my husband some new waders for Christmas - I was considering the Simms G3 as I have read some good things about them.. anyone have any experience with them - or would anyone recommend another brand? He currently has a pair of Gore-Tex Cabelas stocking foot waders - he does stream and lake fishing. Thanks in advance! :)

juro
11-24-2006, 04:53 PM
go with the simms guide weight - proven design and no fashion patches

lucky guy!

teflon_jones
11-24-2006, 09:15 PM
The Simms waders are the top of the line and you can't go wrong with them, but what exact model to buy depends on several things:
1. How much are you looking to spend?
2. What type of fishing does he do? (small streams, rivers, ponds/lakes, etc?)
3. Does he fish most in any particular season?
4. Are these going to be his only pair of waders?

FlyFishersWife
11-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks for your help :)

My husband fly fishes year round, though mostly from early Spring through late Fall. He enjoys fishing small streams and going out onto lakes in his float tube. I never considered different waders for different conditions - he currently owns one pair and dresses differently under the waders depending on how cold the water is, etc... Budget isn't as much of an issue, I just want to get him some waders that I know he will love. Thanks!

Willie Gunn
11-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I have to agree with Juro, the Simms Guides, I've had a pair for years wonderfull.

teflon_jones
11-26-2006, 12:59 AM
I do pretty much the same fishing as your husband (i.e. year round, streams and lakes, float tubing, and I add layers underneath when I need more warmth just like he does).

I don't have personal experience with Simms waders. I use Orvis Silver Label Gore Tex waders and love them. I got them off eBay for $75 or so, but they list for $200. They've stood up for 2 seasons of abuse doing all the things your husband does with no leaks or problems of any kind. And the Orvis return/repair policy is as good as it gets.

Eddie
11-27-2006, 08:13 AM
The Sims Guide waders are terrrific, but if budget isn't a big deal, why not go for the best. Your husband will love the G3's. Lucky guy.

salmonguy
11-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

I don't mean to jump in on FlyFishersWife's thread, but a few are talking about simms guide weight waders. I've been looking on E-Bay myself for a new pair and are these waders the Simms Classic Guide Waders the same as you are talking about.

Thanks,
Alan (salmonguy)

vehcolanalysis
11-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Simms are the perfect as far as I'm concerned. I have had mine for four years now, and while the price was a little rich at the time, I don't regret the purchase one bit. I keep a pair of Browning neoprene waders that I had before the Simms. I tell myself I will use them in the winter..... I have used them once to pick up garbage around one of the area lakes. Simms = :)

Jerry

juro
11-29-2006, 10:53 AM
are these waders the Simms Classic Guide Waders the same as you are talking about.

yes these are the ones

FlyFishersWife
11-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks everyone!! I decided to try the Simms Classic Guide Waders - I even found them on sale :) I really appreciate all of your help!:)

Guernseybass
12-14-2006, 03:27 PM
My husband fly fishes ... Budget isn't as much of an issue

one thing, how can I get my wife (bless her) to say things like that ?:chuckle:

mark.