Durable tropical line? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Durable tropical line?

fishordie
11-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi all,

I have a question for you all. Which warm-salt floating fly line is most durable?

I tried the SA bonefish line and Sage's tropical line, but both developed many
cracks in the coating (in the running line portion just past the head) only after several outings. I keep using them, since they are too expensive to replace
often. These cracks aren't caused by scraping against corals. I rinse the line
with water after each outing, but it doesn't seem to help much. I hear that
Airflo's tropical line may be a bit more durable. Could someone tell us about
durability of the Airflo tropical line or other lines, preferable in comparison with
the SA or Sage lines?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Fishordie

josko
11-20-2006, 07:25 PM
My Cortland Tropic lines are in their 4th season. They get plenty of use (6-8 weeks/year) and still seem fine.

JR SPEY
11-21-2006, 08:25 AM
My Monic Tropical Opaque lines are about ten years old. They get a lot of use each year and all of them are in fine shape. The new Airflo Bonefish lines haven't been on the market long enough (less than a year) for most of us to be able to judge durability.

petevicar
11-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi
I have used most types of tropical lines and I have found that they need to be lubricated as well as just washed.
If you rinse them in clean water you then need to further clean the line with something like Glide. This preserves the line.

Having said that my favourite line for bonefish is the Jim Teeny Flip Pallot line.

Pete