Pend Oreille area, Idaho [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pend Oreille area, Idaho

josko
11-20-2006, 01:56 PM
I have a chance to soend some time (at the Navy facility) at lake Pend Oreille, Idaho next spring and summer and am curious what my flyfishing opporunities in the area are. I keep hearing ecstatic reports of how good deep-trolling for lakers is, but I'd prefer to look for trout or steelhead in moving water. Any insights or useful links would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

flytyer
11-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Josko,

Lake Pend Oreille is in an area abounding with stream and river trout fishing opportunities. It is within an hour to 2 hours of some great trout fishing. Truthfully, all you need to do when you get there is start fishing any of the streams and rivers in the area. The St. Joe's. and Pend Oreille rivers come readily to mind and the upper Pend Orielle has either paved or well-maintained dirt roads along most of it. Steelhead at that time of year is pretty much non-existent though. And there is a very fine fly shop right in town that would be a good place to get started.

juro
11-20-2006, 05:55 PM
By the way josko it's pronounced "pandoray" by the locals :)

A name with tricky tourist phonetics like "Worcester" or "Pulaski".

gunner
11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
http://www.sandpointonline.com/rec/lakeguide/fishing.html

Its been about 6 years since I was in that area fishing, but boat rentals were easy to find to fish that and surrounding lakes. That lake is unbelievably deep, over 1000 feet deep. Its not far to Coeur d'Alene, which has a really good fly shop and guide service (unfortunately can't remember the name).

Just about every stream in the area held nice trout, and it was not a far drive to the Clark Fork in Montana and to Glacier Park.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/fish/

If I recall correctly, they have had a drought the last few years that may have had a bad effect on the fishing.

Joe

jax_on1
11-26-2006, 12:42 AM
In addition to the waters listed, I'd add British Columbia waters. There are some world class river and lake fishing opportunities just over the border.